Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Ceramic coating?

Is this stuff any good?

However the article is a PR for a particular company in the US, which is not going to work on your plane over here, and it doesn’t say which product they are using. But perhaps there is stuff in the car world which someone will recognise.

As with the teflon coatings, amazing claims are being made.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It looks to me like a cut and buff with a sealer wax. Yes, it appears he’s using car polishing products: “Aviana aims to introduce the aviation market to the tough and durable coatings proven in the automotive field to reduce time spent washing, polishing, and waxing” Link

$2900 is silly, but attracts the ‘charge more and attract the naive and status conscious’ market. I’ve typically paid $300-400 to polish a bare metal aircraft with a Cyclo and Nuvite, something that from personal experience takes 13 hrs of labor.

Magazine authors do find ways to fund their aircraft ownership other than paying cash

Last Edited by Silvaire at 26 Apr 20:51

Liquid ceramic Whatever that stuff is, it cannot possible be better than ordinary marine wax used on boats. Marine wax even works in salt water. Lots of different products, but for a SEP I think €100 would do for the waxes. The typical method is to rinse/buff, then polish, then polish once more with a “hard wax” (typically some “nano” “ceramic” voodoo shit, but it it does indeed work). Lots of work of course, and 2900 may be worth it, or not ? it takes a day or two of work for one man. For boats, this is done every year, not the rubbing part necessarily, and it helps to keep the paint in shape. It’s no replacement for a new coat of paint though.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
3 Posts
Sign in to add your message