Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

PA28 Replacement LED Landing Light

Hi all,

I am looking to upgrade the landing light on my 77’ Piper Archer at this Aprils annual. I’d basically like to have an LED replacement installed that I can leave on semi-permanently when flying at low level in congested airspace (i.e. around London). We have had a few close calls and I’d like to make the aircraft as visible as possible. The reason I am interested in LED is that the bulb life is very long as compared to incandescent old-school landing lights which are good for 30 – 50 hours (in my experience).

Has anyone installed such a system and have any recommendations?

Thanks, -Jason

Great Oakley, U.K. & KTKI, USA

There are several threads – e.g. here

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Does anyone have any good experience / details about the mod process and costs for replacing traditional landing lights with LED units please? Ideally PA28. Many thanks

Now retired from forums best wishes

The PA28-181 has less clearance behind than some of the other PA28 family due to the exhaust shroud. So some of the stuff out there won’t fit every model

Interested in any experiences out there too as I’m still running the conventional lamp.

United Kingdom

My Aeroleds here appear to be no bigger than the standard GE lamp.

As regards the paperwork, under FAA it is a Minor Alteration, with the proviso that the part should be TSOd or PMAd and not just some automotive / Experimental part. For EASA, I recall @wigglyamp obtained an STC (in his old firm) for something. I vaguely recall it was something very specific where somebody absolutely wanted a gold plated approval route. Most people just install them… but if you are high-profile then you attract more attention… I would recommend speaking to your CAMO; if they are willing to sign it off then you are good.

Two identical threads merged.

Administrator

I went the “just installed” route – put whelen parmatheus in, which was 1:1 fit on my P28A-140 . At least Part-145 didn’t have any questions..

EETU, Estonia

PAR 36 lights are tractor lights. Vintage Piper and Cessna aircraft are built with automotive parts.
If you google “PAR 36 LED tractor light“ on Amazon you will find good quality lights for 36 USD.

Last Edited by cessnatraveller at 29 Apr 14:57

Which registry?
Under FAA replacement with LED needs minor change in logbook with STCed or PMAed parts. Under EASA replacement was STC only, is now easier with CS-STAN = CS-SC031b BUT not allowed to be done by the pilot owner, has to be a mechanic signing it off, and also only STC or PMA parts, No Automotive shortcuts. And yes, this is one of the first parts ACAM will check.

Last Edited by Markuus at 29 Apr 16:07
Germany

Under FAA replacement with LED needs minor change in logbook with STCed or PMAed parts.

If an STC is being applied then by definition it is a Major Alteration which needs a Form 337 completed, signed off by an A&P/IA after he checked the installation for STC conformity, and mailed to Oklahoma.

If it is a Minor Alteration then an STC is not being applied.

And yes, this is one of the first parts ACAM will check.

What is “ACAM”? Googling produces nothing aviation related, until “Airport Capacity Assessment Methodology” which appears on page 4.

Administrator

If the aircraft is certified under EASA any external light can be changed for an LED unit under CS-STAN provided the LED light unit has an STC.

All the lights on my PA28 have been changed for LED units ( Whelen) and three years on I have had no failures, I could have expected to change the incandescent landing light at each 50 hour check.

The lack of unit changes both landing and other bulbs since the LED fitment has resulted in saving money and increased aircraft utilisation.

If you intend to keep an aircraft for more than three years and the aircraft flys more than 150 hours a year IMO staying with incandescence external lighting will be more expensive than changing all the lights for LED’s

35 Posts
Sign in to add your message