Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Controller–pilot data link communications V2: US PDC & D-ATIS

I think this has much more potential for GA than CPDLC, if only Eurocontrol and all the NATS could get their act together (dream dream):
US Mobile PDC & D-ATIS

I’m green with envy. This would be soooo useful for non-towered airfields in G airspace in Europe.

But one can fantasize, eh?

LSZK, Switzerland

Yes it works brilliantly in the US. But only out of larger airports. D-ATIS also exists in Europe but no GA source ie FF provide them. FF provides D-ATIS in the US.

Last Edited by JasonC at 04 May 17:13
EGTK Oxford

ATIS by text seems to me gimmicky when I can open Foreflight on my phone and get a METAR for any airport (ATC controlled or not, as long as it has AWOS or ATIS) by touching its location on the chart with my thumb.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 04 May 17:52

Silvaire wrote:

ATIS by text seems to me gimmicky when I can open Foreflight on my phone and get a METAR for any airport (ATC controlled or not, as long as it has AWOS or ATIS) by touching its location on the chart with my thumb.

Yes, but that doesn’t give you the full ATIS and, importantly, not the letter (Alpha, Golf, whatever) or the approach in use. FF here have it, but unfortunately only with the top-of-the-line subscription and then only for the bigger airports. I really hope the FAA roll that out to all towered airports. Having to listen to the ATIS while also talking to ATC (especially in the L.A. basin, where ATC comms are pretty much a constant rapid-fire verbal stream) is a pain.

Isn’t that data over the GSM network? If you have that, there is no issue; everything is free, basically…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Isn’t that data over the GSM network? If you have that, there is no issue; everything is free, basically…

Not sure what you’re referring to but the inflight wx here comes via ADS-B and, as @Silvaire says, is one click away in FF. Brilliant. However, that doesn’t absolve you from getting the actual ATIS for a towered airport. At a non-towered airport it’s of course all you need.

Obviously nobody is going to make an initial call to an towered airport without tuning and copying ATIS and current letter by radio first. In the US that is the customary (generally only) way by which you get the altimeter setting and runway(s) in use.

Sometimes I still do call recorded ATIS or ASOS by phone before departure but not often any more when I can get the useful planning info from my iPhone and Foreflight, or iPad and Foreflight via ADS-B In when airborne.

I don’t talk to ATC much en route, it’s not usually beneficial to my flying, and I don’t want more than one radio on the plane, for simplicity and weight saving. So it’s no issue or distraction to check ATIS when inbound before making the initial voice call to tower.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 04 May 18:54

Silvaire wrote:

Obviously nobody is going to make an initial call to an towered airport without tuning and copying ATIS and current letter by radio first. In the US that is the customary (generally only) way by which you get the altimeter setting and runway(s) in use.

If you get D-ATIS you don’t need to call. And if you get PDC, you call for taxi only.

EGTK Oxford

JasonC wrote:

Yes it works brilliantly in the US. But only out of larger airports. D-ATIS also exists in Europe but no GA source ie FF provide them. FF provides D-ATIS in the US.

@JasonC, do you have an information source about D-ATIS in Europe …. plans, airport list, data sources? If it could be distributed by ADL devices it would be useful to GA enroute before close enough for ATIS reception, especially now that ADL TAF/METARs appear on the ForeFlight weather tab for an airport.

Last Edited by chflyer at 09 Nov 11:59
LSZK, Switzerland
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message