Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A letter to Trig/ Dear Trig............

Dear Trig,

I’m a happy customer. I love my TY96 radio. Simple to use, it has a knob when you are being thrown around in turbulence and, best of all, you can push the frequency dial and easily toggle between 8.33 and 25 Khz. I leave it in 25Khz most of the time and then when I am getting close, I push it once to “home in” on the correct 8.33 Khz frequency. This means you can change frequencies really quickly. I also love being able to upload my custom frequency database on a USB stick.

So Trig, whey did you design such an awful interface for your TT31 Transponder? Not quite as bad as my JPI engine monitor but my transponder is the second worst interface in my aircraft. When I phoned your technical department to give polite feedback a year ago, you didn’t show much interest. You reminded me about the “back” button when mistakes are made but who remembers that? I watch other people use your transponder and, like me, they also just hit enter/ enter/ enter to cycle around the 4 digits when making a mistake so that’s lots of “turning” / “overshooting” / “turning the knob the wrong way to go the long way around” and often lots of “enter/enter/enter” etc

What is really bizarre is you manufacture a decent version with buttons and sell it to Bendix King who sell it as the KT64. Why would you make a product with a better interface and allow a competitor to sell it?

So Trig, just to help I made a photo of what I’m looking for and hopefully it will motivate you to make it. You could call it the TT31e (e=easy interface). Charge £250 more if you wan’t. You already have the circuit boards rolling around so you only have to design a new front panel. I’d buy one!

Kind regards – A loyal customer.

Last Edited by Archer-181 at 15 Jun 06:42
United Kingdom

Even though you do get used to it, and it is a cost effective option I don’t think I’d want one in an airplane I plan to keep. The stratus transponder is one I’m looking at for 206, as it seems to be best bang for buck. Though TT31 is good value, the interface kills it for me as a potential customer.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

+1 for that. I’ve had the TT31 for ~ 10yrs but it still takes 2x the time to enter a sqawk than other txpndrs. The only advantage is sever turb., when you can hang on the knob.

Good company, good product, please listen…

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

At least it can also be controlled remotely from a suitable Garmin or Avidyne GPS.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

I can’t remember where I read it, or it may have been the Trig chap we spoke to at the recent Duxford safety day, but the answer was “watch this space”. I don’t know how one should interpret that on the Avionics Scale of Time.

Alan

Last Edited by buzz53 at 15 Jun 10:43
EGST + Tibenham, United Kingdom

Ultranomad.

Can you expand on the comments about the trig being controlled by a Garmin unit.

”At least it can also be controlled remotely from a suitable Garmin or Avidyne GPS.”
Can it? Not seen anything in the manuals to suggest that, would be interested to hear how that could be done

EGNS, Other

Archer-181 wrote:

So Trig, just to help I made a photo of what I’m looking for and hopefully it will motivate you to make it. You could call it the TT31e (e=easy interface)

agree 100000000000000% i would also change mine TT31 for a TT31e lol

fly2000

A_and_C wrote:

Can you expand on the comments about the trig being controlled by a Garmin unit.

Oops, my bad. Should have double-checked the manual – it’s only the GPS position that can be received from Garmin, not the squawk code.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Thanks Ultranomad that was my understanding.

19 Posts
Sign in to add your message