Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A letter to Trig/ Dear Trig............

I totally endorse Archer’s letter to Trig. I have had a TT31 for 5 years, it works well but it is a pain to change squawk code. I reckon on average it takes 20+ seconds to select a code other than 7000 and during that time I am hand flying the aeroplane with head down so I’m not looking out; at 170 kts that consumes a lot of airspace.
I would add to Archer’s letter a suggestion that Trig might offer a low cost conversion to existing TT31 owners when they do eventually see sense on this design defect and produce a user friendly product,

Sorry, I just don’t see the point of this antediluvian “made in Scotland” garbage with twiddly knobs and buttons that’s dumber than a Saluki hound dog.

If it isn’t from Garmin it’s not worth wiring into my panel.

The proper way to interact with a radio in turbulence (or in crowded airspace) is to tell it what we want it to do – “tune destination approach”, for example. A transponder should be no different, so hopefully Garmin’s next Telligence software version will recognise “squawk seven four zero one” and do as it’s told.

Just a thought: if Google made this stuff it would also understand « affichez soixante-quatorze zéro unité » …and store the data for some kind of targeted advertising

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Archer-181 wrote:

and often lots of “enter/enter/enter”

Why don’t you practice, practice, practice instead?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

In truth I am pretty good at it. I do use the back key now. Interestingly I have noticed in high work load or stressful situations that is when mistakes are made.

I’m saving my practice, practice, practice for my EDM Engine Monitor

United Kingdom

Marchettiman wrote:

I have had a TT31 for 5 years … I reckon on average it takes 20+ seconds to select a code
Then you’re doing it wrong. We have Trig’s transponders in both Warriors, it can’t take more than 5-6s for a code change. Coming from a KT76 the direction is familiar, just an enter key instead of another knob.
Honestly I don’t see the problem (and I have used a GTX330 before too).
ESMK, Sweden

I do think that some above are being very hard on Trig. I have found the unit to be stunningly reliable, OK it’s a bit clunky to use but no worse than most of the King or Narco units that they replaced.

The trig is a bit annoying because it keeps you head down some time, but it is better than the old king ones, especially after a little practice. I train to turn the knob without looking, just counting the steps, and checking at the end of the sequence.
We should encourage any competition in the avionics market IMHO.

LFOU, France

I totally agree with A_and_C . I am a very happy Trig customer and I think their radio is brilliant. I already have a Garmin Audio panel/ twin G5’s/ Garmin Magnometer and Garmin Autopilot interface but I like competition (I think my Garmin products are also great but I don’t like their Apple philosophy of closed standards).

The strange thing is Trig make the Bendix King transponder which has buttons. There is no reason why Trig’s next version shouldn’t have a Telligence type input

United Kingdom

Honestly this is the reason why I spent the extra to get a Garmin GTX335 – the interface when flying is just better than most the other stuff. It also has a certified position source built into it.

Andreas IOM
19 Posts
Sign in to add your message