Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Recommendations for AP overhaul/exchange and KI256 overhaul?

Yes, as Peter (admin) demonstrated it´s more or less easy to have the alternator kit installed in a N-reg, but for EASA-reg?

TB20 Airman
Borkenberge EDLB, Germany

My KC270/271 (new) and the KI-256 (overhauled) have been exchanged in Straubing about 80 hrs ago.

Are you saying that Avionics Straubing overhauled the KS270C/271C servos and the KI256 AI 80hrs ago and they have packed up now?

I would initially speak to the shop. A/S have a totally fanatical following in Germany as the best avionics shop in the entire known universe, so I would expect them to live up to their reputation, especially for “one of their own people”

The cheap way forward with the KI256 is to simply buy them on US Ebay. This EASA concession, which is almost unknown and which some people in the Part M business don’t want to touch, allows you to just do that. If you fit quick release fittings on the back, you can change it out in an hour.

For the KFC225 “smoking” servos, there is no simple solution. Some owners run the Honeywell extended warranty and just pay the annual charge, and keep getting new/exchange servos. The shops love them There are no other legal solutions.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Are you saying that Avionics Straubing overhauled the KS270C/271C servos and the KI256 AI 80hrs ago and they have packed up now?

yes, this seems to be a phenomenon around here, or mabye I only know German airmen who never have had any doubts in this branch segment. Nevertheless I can confirm a demographical determined loss of knowledge passing over into a “do not know why things pack-up but whatever throw away and exchange-generation”.
yes, I will talk to them as soon they reopen after the holidays – however, I assume I can already predict the outcome “without warranty on overhauled stuff”, albeit as you often mentioned a 4-digit exchange. Thank you for the hint to the EASA concession. I determine to go this way for this and further spare parts aswell.

Do you roughly know how much is the extended warranty, just for sample calculation?

TB20 Airman
Borkenberge EDLB, Germany

I very vaguely remember somebody paying about 1k/year but don’t know how much it covered. Logically you would probably want just the KFC225 covered but I heard Honeywell would not allow this. Maybe @wigglyamp has more recent info.

I had the extended warranty for the first couple of years and it did get used, for a KI229 RMI I think, but I quickly realised that it was a con because all the replacement items came from an exchange pool in which everything was 20-40 years old and generally shagged. So I swapped a 3 year old instrument for one from 1980… I spoke to a Honeywell rep about this and he confirmed it.

Some of the items were incredibly cheap to cover. I thought it was a mistake on their price list…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Unfortunately like most former EU Bendix-King dealers, we had our dealership withdrawn for not selling enough non-existent product! That also meant no more involvement in GA product support programmes, so can’t help I’m afraid.

Last Edited by wigglyamp at 08 Jan 23:07
Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

Sure you can, you do install Avidyne, Garmin and other brands, don’t you? ;-)

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message