Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cessna 182RG Oil Temp

140kias - see this thread. The EDM comes in 2 sizes.

An EDM700 can be installed by a chimp with 2 fingers on each hand. PROB99 you can re-use your sensors and their wiring and in that case it is really trivial.

Also replacing the GEM box with an EDM is so like-for-like that it should be a minor mod IMHO.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

There is another reason for a high oil temp which I recall reading about: the oil cooler being internally coated with sludge.

But this isn't likely to happen suddenly.

Is the oil temp control valve adjustable? The oil pressure control valve is (I've seen it adjusted) but I don't think the other one is.

Administrator

One really wouldn't install an EDM 700 today. The EDM 830 provides much more information under the same EASA accepted STC. It's a pleasure to work with.

Maybe 3 reasons for the old one:

1) Not enough panel space; the EDM700 can go into an existing 2" or a 3" instrument hole

2) The 830 probably not certified as the primary CHT gauge, so old gauge needs to be retained

3) 830 STC may not be applicable to the specific airframe S/N but 700 STC may be, etc...

Administrator

Yes, of course, but I would be willing to sacrifice almost everything for a EDM 830... The 700 serves as primary instrument on very few aircraft, I am only aware of the later model TB20s. For FAA reg, there is a certified version of the 830, the 930. The AML for the 930 is rather long, it even lists the TB20.

Just saw your posting on the CPA site saying

We had an alternative shop close off the large hole and also replace all the baffle seals which were in pretty poor condition. Normal oil temperatures have resumed

That is good. It was clear that your incorrect baffling was a major issue. I am going to do some baffle work, too. For these engines, it is worth chasing every little hole and using creative techniques such as shining a bright light on the upper side and look for light on the lower side.

If you don't have a 6x CHT engine monitor, you probably have not seen how badly you've treated your cylinders. The Cessna CHT gauge is highly unreliable.

Quick update. Hole covered and all baffle seals replaced. Oil temperatures have returned to normal. Many thanks for all the great advise, esp Achima for the photos.

Bigamy Rules
RAF Kirknewton

Very glad to hear!

It takes only a little hole for a lot of air to escape.

Administrator

Indeed, according to Cessna Pilots Association tech rep, 1 square inch hole = 20% reduction in airflow

Bigamy Rules
RAF Kirknewton

140kias

.. Great that you solved your probem.

Now for your gem ... Replace it with the Insight Avionics G3 or G4.

Main advantage:

Basically it is the same as an edm 830 but * It slides in exactly the same spot * It is certified as a primary engine instrument ... So now you are completely redundant * It will give you ALL info * You get all new probes * You will find the readings a hell of a lot more acurate than your steam gauges. * You may even analyse data later at home * It really allows you to manage your engine a lot better *

It is without a doubt the very best investment I did for my aircraft.

20 Posts
Sign in to add your message