Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin GNC355

Here

WAAS GPS and a radio.

I wonder if the size and pinout is a slide-in KLN94 replacement

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’ll be surprised if the pinout is the same, but both units are 51 mm tall indeed.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

I wonder if it would play nicely with an Avidyne 540…

Kent, UK

Garmin should have done this box 10+ years ago, also ensuring that it is compatible with the KMD550 MFD. Then they would have sold thousands as KLN94 replacements. There is the long standing “Garmin v. King OBS mode issue” which is likely to prevent anyone trying this out. Well, except pilots who don’t know what the OBS mode does

Administrator

Yes it’s a real shame. I look at the post 8.33 nav kit aircraft that I fly and if this has been in the market I’m sure I would be looking at much more capable aircraft.

Peter wrote:

Well, except pilots who don’t know what the OBS mode does

OBS – Old Bearing System ?

KUZA, United States

Does anyone have any use or installation experience of this box?

Administrator

Peter, it’s a bit soon after the release of this unit to find someone in the UK who has fitted one of these units, I’m sure that had it been available last year we would have sold this to a few customers who don’t need VOR/ILS capability.

IMO the screen is a bit small and the unit needs attaching to the G5 to unlock all its potential.

It is very unlikely to be pin compatible with a KLN94 for a number of reasons, the COM radio being the biggest of them.

There is a Garmin GPS/ transponder on the market and I can’t help feeling that would be the ideal solution for your aircraft .

Last Edited by A_and_C at 27 Jul 17:15

Very interesting to note that the radio in this box doesn’t give you NAV (particularly ILS).

So it could not be your only “radio”, in Europe, practically speaking, unless you fly only in parts of certain countries.

Administrator

Definitely a pity this radio was’t available 2 years ago when 8.3 upgrade was required.
Although I think the screen is way too small for GPS.

Peter wrote:

Very interesting to note that the radio in this box doesn’t give you NAV (particularly ILS).

I’m wondering how much NAV still will be required in the near future. When upgrading to 8.3 my avionics dealer suggested possibility to get rid of all NAV radio stuff except GPS (I fly VFR exclusively, but had full adf/vor/dme/ils capabilities). I decided to keep NAV, but i find myself nowadays using mostly GPS and ignoring NAV. Also I think airfields are will migrate to gps approaches in the future (wasn’t this eurocontrol policy in long term ?).

I can certainly imagine the garmin product manager to de-prioritize NAV in favour of GPS.

EBTN, EBST, Belgium
38 Posts
Sign in to add your message