Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Is there a market for a box which merges certified ADS-B IN with uncertified ADS-B IN? (ARINC429 etc)

Peter wrote:

this will show only SIL=3 targets

SIL = 0 are not displayed on a certified system. SIL = 1, 2, or 3 are.

KUZA, United States

@NCYankee SIL 1 is really interesting. Is this definite? I believe I have seen a portable ADS-B OUT gizmo which emits SIL=1. Digressing, but interesting…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

FWIW this box will do ARINC429 in (2 channels), ARINC429 out, and some RS232 RS422 and RS485 ports.

Administrator

While you’re at it, why not integrate the weather info from a Golze system as well? Just call it mystery extended version box.

LRIA, Romania

That would require a wifi client, basically running the Golze app source code, and then converting that into a radar image. I think all the protocols for that are commercially secret, though perhaps less so for ARINC429 radar data for which I vaguely recall seeing a spec somewhere, but then what device is capable of displaying that?

Administrator

Just a quick update, in case somebody finds this when looking for something else the design I am working on has

• ethernet (RJ45)
  • micro-USB
  • two RS232 ports
  • two RS422/485 ports (these can be built as RS232)
  • ARINC429 implemented using the HI-3593 chip which has 1 x TX and 2 x RX channels

The CPU is an ARM running at 150MHz so loads of performance.

There is no wifi or bluetooth but they can be added.

So if anyone is after some custom data converter, or has some product ideas, let me know.

Administrator

@Peter, are you planning to make it a multi-purpose hardware platform? In this case, I’d also add CAN bus (which is used in the Garmin device ecosystem and possibly elsewhere) and some analogue and discrete I/O pins.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Yes; it will be user-programmable, with the usual free development tools.

There is analog stuff but I am not posting the details

CAN bus is interesting. After massive hype 15-20 years ago it has almost totally died out in the industrial control sector, while living in cars and some other areas e.g. Experimental (and later some Certified) category avionics. I suspect the avionics angle may be tricky to exploit since it all be proprietary, and protocol analysis is tough. The vehicle stuff is proprietary but due to the huge interest a lot of it has been reverse engineered (VAG-COM etc). This box has two SPI interfaces so anything-SPI can be added. The ARINC429 chip (which like everything-ARINC is not cheap – about $100) is an SPI peripheral…

ARINC429 is either documented, or it is undocumented but fairly easy to reverse engineer due to the one-way data flow and usually obvious packet content.

Administrator

CAN (and LIN) are still kings in automotive and the stuff is quite standardized so not much is proprietary beside, of course, the application communication layer. On top of these there is more and more lately cybersecurity added so reverse engineering is difficult.

Dynon has CAN also.

Last Edited by byteworks at 14 Aug 06:25
LRSV, Romania

I posted my next Q here

Administrator
Sign in to add your message