Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Continental Starter Adapter Failure

I experienced a starter adaptor failure yesterday. The starter worked, it sounded like a turbine and it seemed as if the starter clutch did not engage.

I read up an old thread on a similar failure and people recommended to check the engine and prop for metal contamination. I just did an oil change about 10 hours ago and I am waiting for the oil analysis which I recently shipped to the US.

My questions, how do I take apart the shaft and the coil to check the adaptor for signs of damage? I am attaching a picture of the coil and it shows some wear but since it was a sudden failure that wasn’t announced by any previous signs, I am imagining that something else broke inside the core.

I am ordering a new refurbished adaptor from Niagara Air Parts – prices have gone up quite a lot since that old post, so I’ll be paying $1000.- plus shipping.

Any thoughts on this?

Michael

EDKB, EGBN, Germany

What kind of starter are you using?

I removed a new Iskra starter for this very reason.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

The starter is the heavy Energizer 24V… should be the best one, right?

EDKB, EGBN, Germany

sunmiguel wrote:

The starter is the heavy Energizer 24V… should be the best one, right?

That should be the one to have. It’s what I fitted.

If you want an as removed one, a friend of mine has three of them.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

Hi William, thanks for the offer. It might be good to store one for spares just in case, let me think about it.

We found the cause of the failure in the meantime. A piece of spring broke off right where the spring attaches to the shaft. Trying to attach pictures…

Looks like there shouldn’t be an issue with pieces or metal contamination in the engine.

Michael

EDKB, EGBN, Germany

EDKB, EGBN, Germany
6 Posts
Sign in to add your message