Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Lightspeed Zulu 3 arrived today - Not happy

Hi All – anyone else have a set of Lightspeed Zulu 3’s?

Got my PPL recently and ordered this headset for 3 reasons -

1) For a passenger
2) As a spare when solo
3) Interested in the iPhone app that they link to

Arrived today from Pooleys, great service, but I keep getting a strange and quite disorientating modulating noise in the right ear. The manual mentions this and says it’s do do with fitment against the head and instructs the wearer to extend the band, put them on and then press them down until they sit lightly on the head. Have done this, but no matter what I do the horrible noise always returns when I start moving around.

Pooleys have offered to swap them out but having read online that ‘some shapes of head’ have issues with this, I told them I’m not so sure the headset is faulty and that it might just not be compatible with me?!

My main headset is Bose A20 which have been consistently flawless over the past 2 years.

Anyone else heard of/have experience of this issue?

TIA…

ST

I have heard what may be the same noise on occasion, but it goes away immediately if I move the headset slightly and is not an issue generally, for instance with sun glasses under the ear cups. I’ve also noticed a noise if I am straining to reach something in the cockpit. Otherwise Lightspeeds are better for me than anything else I’ve tried – Bose don’t fit my ears and as a result feel uncomfortable. I’d suggest trying a different set and if that doesn’t work accepting that what works for one person may not for another.

You could also ask somebody else if they hear the same thing with your headset.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 08 Aug 19:49

A lot of ANR headsets have / have had this issue. I’ve had or tried various ones since 2002. The Bose X and the A20 were the only ones which didn’t do “funny stuff”.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

My lightspeed Sierra does about the same.

At the end of the day, in Cessnas (152, 172), ANR is not really necessary for me, so usually I forget to turn it on, and when I think about it, I leave it off, because this strange noise is more tiring than the engine sound. In these aircraft, the A20 made little difference to me too.

In noisier airplanes, ANR makes things a little better. But I can’t fly for hours with the Sierra. The A20 works much much much better to me.

It must depend on your shape of head and ears, like shoes that fit to your feet or don’t. But I would say with 4 cylinder engines, it is not really necessary.

LFOU, France

If I have this problem on my Sierra3, I get a haircut, problem solved.

EBKT

Have had a Zulu 3 for a year or so and flown half way around the world with it. No issues like this so far.

Kent, UK

I have Bose A20 headsets and they are excellent but one set simply “eats” batteries very quickly. Any ideas anyone please?

UK, United Kingdom

Are you sitting in a silent room at home focusing on the problem or using them for real.

You may well find that it is totally unnoticeable in real use.

one set simply “eats” batteries very quickly

Assuming it isn’t the same pair of (duff) rechargeable batteries you are always using, it’s prob99 faulty.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Looking for an update on this. My head clamp David Clark ANR (a few decades old but have been OH once) are very reliable, but not so comfortable. Used to use Bose A20 on a day job, but worried about durability. The Lightspeed Zulu 3 seem very well made but hoping for long term user review from the forum?

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom
25 Posts
Sign in to add your message