Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Lycoming TBO extension - 200hrs or 400hrs

https://www.lycoming.com/TBO

What is the meaning of this? On FAA Part 91, and most European regimes, you can go past TBO for private flying.

Does it mean that Lycoming extend their engine warranty by these amounts? Previously they would walk away from any liability if you were over TBO.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The 12 year recommendation is unchanged so I think a TBO Increase is mostly of interest to flight schools etc, even under regulatory regimes where manufacturer recommendations are law for everybody. Not many private owners fly their plane 200 or more hours a year.

I don’t see a strong linkage between warranty and TBO – except for those very few engines that might reach TBO within the calendar warranty period.

For most private owners under on condition regulations it’s a non-issue because overhaul is typically done after something like 20 years on condition, not hours.

Well in the UK flying schools certainly can’t run an engine over its TBO.

If the 40 hours a month is anything like the continental one that in all reality its popycock. Our O-200 averaged over 40 hours a month, yet in one month, and one month only (February when it was on its annual) it did less than 40 hours so the 200 extension wasn’t available to us.

Great for advertising. No possible in practice.

The link refers to an extension of the TBO by using only genuine Lycoming approved parts and practices, some engines qualify for an additional 200 hours.
I believe note 15 on the bottom of SI1009BD highlights this.

4 Posts
Sign in to add your message