Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Upgrading the JPI Engine Monitor

In my opinion, one of the most important things on my aircraft is the JPI engine monitor but as another thread mentioned, it has the world’s worst user interface.

I am thinking of upgrading with a core exchange.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/jpi730830upgrade.php

The better displays are larger and use a 3 1/8 hole. I have space to fit this but does anybody know if it would be legal to use a pre-made cable with the correct female/ male multipin plugs and sockets as I need to move it about 45 cm on the panel. Is using a “extension lead” a permissible installation method?

United Kingdom

….but the UI is still just as terrible as with the older units. Have you tried using them?

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

….but the UI is still just as terrible as with the older units. Have you tried using them?

Oh no, really? This was next on my list of things to do. Surely having all info on one page alone is enough to justify it?

EIMH, Ireland

Thanks for the feedback. A few extra buttons would have probably helped!

However, my main worry is to monitor CHT’s in the climb especially when away in hotter climates. So by the look of it the CHT’s at the top of each bar would be really useful? At the moment I have to toggle through whilst climbing and that’s also a time when the workload is already high.

United Kingdom

I just leave it on what is always the hottest cylinder and monitor that.

EIMH, Ireland

I upgraded my 2.25" EDM700 to the 3.125" version – here.

If there is a “better” instrument which goes into the same hole, I would seriously look at it, especially if it is shorter behind the panel. This came up here and the G4 was one option.

However, the reason I have not done anything about this is because the EDM700 is all that’s needed to set the two desired operating conditions: best economy (peak EGT) and best power (about 150F ROP). I never actually touch the controls on it, except when downloading the data into a laptop.

I just leave it on what is always the hottest cylinder and monitor that.

Likewise. Press the LH button until the dot sits under the hottest cylinder (mine is usually #6) and leave it there for the rest of the flight. This action stops the auto scanning process.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes but with an 800 that’s used as fuel totaliser and OAT gauge you can’t avoid it. I don’t think I’ve ever managed to correctly input the exact fuel on board.

EIMH, Ireland

Ditto. EDM700 goes out, EDM900 goes in.

EBST, Belgium

The slight issue is that the EDM900

also needs one of these

It’s not really an upgrade. It’s a substantial panel rebuild.

I think the Insight G4 is currently the closest upgrade without panel hacking

Whether the user interface is any better is debatable. With just 2 buttons it is likely to be just as awful. But it does more…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

For a 3 1/8" panel mount there is also the CGR-30 from EI – I believe it is relatively shallow because all the probes terminate at a separate DAC box.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message