Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Upgrading the JPI Engine Monitor

I’ve put in a EDM 700 this year. I did look at more elaborate units, but for the additional price and panelspace they have little more to offer. I never flew with an engine monitor until now so I have little to compare, but I enjoy the useful info it brings to me.

EHTE, Netherlands
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Re a previous comment in this thread. My hottest cylinder varies on climb out and other factors. That’s why I have to toggle.

Do others experience the same thing?

United Kingdom

Yes; this is normal. During a climb, the hottest cylinder may be different from the one during a descent, etc, due to the different airflow under the cowling. But this doesn’t matter because – assuming you have well enough balanced cylinders, possibly by installing a set of injectors from GAMI – you lean by maintaining the takeoff EGT during climb, and lean for peak EGT (or LOP) during cruise, or lean for best power (about 150F ROP) during cruise to reach the operating ceiling. It doesn’t matter which cylinder you pick as the reference.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

My engine has a good old fashioned carburetor – no GAMI injectors for me! When I’m flying in the Med I often have to pull the power back a tiny bit in the climb to keep CHT’s below 400 F. I tend to leave it on my usual hottest cylinder.

Next Annual I’ll replace the rubber cowling strips to see what that does.

United Kingdom
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message