Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Jeppesen Download Manager

I cannot see that there is already a thread about this.

I have already emailed Jeppesen Europe asking for suggestions.

Trying to download the latest database for the GNS430 to my 2010 MacBook today, I find that Jeppesen has a compulsory update to Jeppesen Download Manager which is not compatible with the OS in my machine which is not, as far as I can judge, suitable for upgrading to current OS.

Why would Jeppesen do this? All that the JDM needs to do is write to a USB stick (their own) so why make it specific to one particular version of OS? This is very poor customer service.

Can anyone offer any suggestions please? One option is to buy a second data card and do the update on a newer machine at home or work but the cards are priced in the knowledge of a captive market so that is also undesirable. The aeroplane is shared so I cannot just leave it without a card for a week while I do the update.

Thanks
JoeFBS

Last Edited by Joe-fbs at 03 Nov 10:34
strip near EGGW

A quite costly solution if you have an iPhone or an iPad : the Bad elf Wombat (https://bad-elf.com/pages/wombat-piston) 250 USD.
It works pretty well for me (G1000 updates).

If your machine really is a 2010 MacBook, it should be compatible with macOS Sierra (10.12) which is the minimum version supported by the latest version of JDM.

On your machine, what does it say if you click the Apple logo and select ‘About this Mac’

As an aside…

MacOS Catalina
Full Disk Access
For JDM to function and transfer data properly on MacOS 10.15 Catalina and later, add JDM to the Full Disk Access list in Security & Privacy settings. Follow the three steps below to add JDM to the Full Disk Access list. If JDM has been added to your Full Disk Access list, it does not need to be added again when installing future JDM updates.

Why the heck does it need full disk access. That’s just lazy programming.

Last Edited by stevelup at 03 Nov 12:43

I know nothing about Macs but could a VM be a solution here? I run a load of old software (mostly CAD / electronics design stuff; massively expensive to replace with current mega-bloatware) under a VMWARE VM. There are a few issues (e.g. printing to USB inkjets) but on the whole it delivers a totally acceptable solution which is as futureproof as it gets. It is also portable; you can just copy the VM to any other computer and it “just works” (need to change the VM machine name etc to avoid network conficts if the old VM is still in use).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thank you stevelup. I have OS X El Captain so am now trying to download and install Sierra.

strip near EGGW

Computer says no.

strip near EGGW

Few years ago I was trying to use my MacBook for JDM updates on a G3000. Had problems because data would not load from card into avionics. Every time it failed, I had to call Jeppesen to reset the counter for number of programmed cards. I tried different cards, thinking it is a card problem. In the end, I believe the problem was that the card needs to be formatted as FAT32 and MacOS would format only as FAT or ExFAT. When I tried a windows laptop, everything went fine on first attempt. I am using a cheap, small Windows laptop for updates since.

LPFR, Poland

Thank you loco, cheap second-hand windows portable might indeed be the answer.

strip near EGGW

I am reading into this and see that one could format a card with FAT32 on OSX using the diskutil command line tool. It’s just the GUI that doesn’t show FAT32. I will not try, but this could be a solution.

LPFR, Poland

Sorry, I speak English and mechanical engineering but not software :-)

strip near EGGW
21 Posts
Sign in to add your message