Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

PT6A-42 Light Overhaul

Hi,

I’m looking for a proper engine shop in Europe to perform a Light Overhaul in a PT6A-42 (Meridian). Do you know any?

Thank you

Don't get too slow
LECU, Spain

What do you mean by “Light Overhaul”? As far as I know that does not exist. You can do an overhaul, HSI, sudden stoppage inspection or just a teardown and inspection. I did get many quotes for a sudden stoppage on a -35 some months ago and there are huge differences. But first step is to determine what kind of goal you have.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Hi @Sebastian_G, thanks for you reply.

The aircraft hasn’t flown for over a year but it’s been started once a month. The engine has around 700h but we think than performing a “light overhaul” would be optimum to start flying again. Hopefully it will reduce the cost of the 3600h overhaul and will extend the HSI. I have received an estimation in Germany of around 100k.

Don't get too slow
LECU, Spain

Many over here would perform a boroscope inspection and carry on flying

I’d get Gary Hann from Euravia over to check it over and ask him for his advice.
https://www.euravia.aero/contact

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

In that case I would just do an annual inspection including a borescope and fly. If you really feel the need to do anything you might do a hot section but I am sure this is a waste of money. Under no circumstances send it to the German shop. They are known for crazy high prices. The shops in UK seem to make much better offers. Remember whenever an engine is opened they will find “stuff” just because that is how it works…

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

I would just borescope it if you really want to. No way would I open it up. It has sat unused so corrosion prob the only real issue. Pull and check the nozzles maybe. But turbines are different from pistons. If it starts and runs with no apparent problem, it will be fine. And anything you do now won’t lower your HSI or overhaul cost.

There is a reason that the turbine engines on programs don’t allow you to even borescope without manufacturer permission. Once you do, you may find things that have to be changed but wouldn’t have posed a problem.

EGTK Oxford

Thanks for the heads up. I will contact Gary Han at Eurovia looking for his advice.
Borescope looks OK to me while keeping the costs low. I will keep you updated with the costs and the outcome.

Don't get too slow
LECU, Spain

Hi Sebastian, check August 2023 issue of GA buyer

Interesting for Meridian…

G3x
LKKU, Czech Republic

Sorry, but no one flies a turbine at 200kts when you can do 258! Sure you can in theory do 1300 NM at 200 kts, but are you really prepared to sit there for 7 hours!!

Actually, I guess @Peter does that from time to time in his TB20, but he is special.

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

Great to read somebody is innovating but I am not convinced. Still air range is usually not the issue in real life but for an aircraft flying that high headwind range is the real issue. Below an image from my last maximum range flight. It was only 609 NM but still it was still max range.

If somebody really wants this concept of a PA46 with a smaller trubine engine, going a little slower at altitude she/he should better get a JetProp. This project is combining some of the weak points of the JetProp (limited altitude performance) with the heavier airframe of the Meridian…

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ
17 Posts
Sign in to add your message