Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin GTN650 and Avidyne EX600

I would like VRPs already on the map, like the KMD550. Not bothered about being able to load them into a flight plan; never seen a product which can do that.

Not a huge deal because I have VFR maps running on a tablet, however.

It’s just for the very rare VFR flight I might do abroad, where ATC will send you to a VRP and generally IME won’t accept an offer to arrive via some intersection etc. If you are a VFR flight, you are obliged to find VRPs as the only official way

Is there any other way to load a flight plan into a GTN650? I know the voice option disappeared with the 430W/530W past a specific firmware version, after which Garmin cut out the competition which reverse-engineered their crossfill facility However that product never worked in Europe anyway – past threads here previously.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Is there any other way to load a flight plan into a GTN650? I know the voice option disappeared with the 430W/530W past a specific firmware version, after which Garmin cut out the competition which reverse-engineered their crossfill facility However that product never worked in Europe anyway – past threads here previously.

With airways entry you really don’t need another way. It is a piece of cake. Otherwise you can always save the file to an sd card and load that way should you want.

EGTK Oxford

Last softw version of the GTN 650/750 added VRP’s to the map

http://newsroom.garmin.com/press-release/featured-releases/garmin-introduces-new-and-exciting-ways-interact-gtn-650750

European enhancements

Tailored specifically to European operators, the GTN series now includes the option to display Visual Reporting Points (VRPs) on the moving map. Often used as reporting points in controlled airspace, pilots can easily reference these points relative to their position on the map so its easy to navigate and help make accurate reports to air traffic control.

Otherwise you can always save the file to an sd card and load that way should you want.

Do you have to power cycle the GTN after that, like one does with the GNS FP Migrator route?

With airways entry you really don’t need another way. It is a piece of cake

Yes I am sure you are right. Especially fast on the IFD440.

the GTN series now includes the option to display Visual Reporting Points (VRPs) on the moving map

The problem is that the GTN650 map is too small to be usable. I would be looking to show named VRPs on the MFD. Loading them into the FP is little help because you won’t see the ones which are not on the loaded route.

This is the advantage King had over Garmin when I got my kit in 2002. I had the 430+530 option.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Do you have to power cycle the GTN after that, like one does with the GNS FP Migrator route?

No from memory you just copy it on before the flight then leave that in the slot. But I never bothered.

EGTK Oxford

Maybe @Avijake can drop in and advise on the advisability of buying an Avidyne MFD, European map support, support policy, etc.

Previous posts here by certain individuals slagged off the whole MFD business totally as being “yesterday’s” options

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Is there any other way to load a flight plan into a GTN650?

Put in a Fligh Stream 510 WiFi SD card and use your Garmin Pilot on your iPad?

ESMK, Sweden

Peter,
What are your specific questions regarding support for the Ex600 from Avidyne. I have read the other thread but if you have specifics either I will answer or will get you answers.

[post moved to the EX600 thread]

I think @steveavidyne it was some detail on future database support on the EX600, and specifically what European maps are available. As you are probably aware the current “fashion” in higher-end GA installations are to put in the big GPS boxes, rather than what used to go in 10-20 years ago which was a small GPS and an MFD.

But if there is still database support for MFD products then these can represent good value; much less than say 2×IFD540 at something like 30k (£ or €).

The combination of a small GPS (IFD440/GTN650) and a large MFD is great for IFR flight around Europe. One uses the GPS as an “FMS” (also acts as an interface for other stuff e.g. fuel totaliser) and one uses the MFD to see the route all the time. Whereas if one installs say an IFD540 or a GTN750 one loses the map view the moment one fiddles around with the “FMS”. For example I might frequently flip the “FMS” (KLN94) between the flight plan distances or ETAs, and the LFOB (landing fuel on board; on many flights this is the real key parameter for all decisions) and almost never touch the MFD (KMD550). Installation of 2 x big GPS is not only much more pricey but also needs a lot of panel space.

Administrator

FWIW – I have a Flight Stream 210 connecting my iPad to the GTN750. Altering the flight plan on either device causes the other device to propose a sync.
Garmin Pilot will let you graphically edit a flight plan. On an ipad…

LSGG, LFEY, Switzerland
110 Posts
Sign in to add your message