Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin GTN650 and Avidyne EX600

I recommend adding an isolation diode. Many of the 1984 and later Bonanzas use the same device for the ships FF gage and when a Shadin or JPI is installed, they merely tap into the signal.

One has to do something like this - a diagram from my TAS605 installation writeup. Replace the switch with the Floscan transducer's open-collector output. Unfortunately the transducer also needs power, which also needs to be fed via two diodes, to do the job properly without a single point of failure.

What about the EI product ? They also use the same Floscan transducer...

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

EI uses their FT60 red cube or FT90 gold cube.

Fuel Flow Transducer, FT-60 (Red Cube): Range: 0.6 to 70+ GPH Linearity: 1% over an engines normal operating range. K Factor: Approx. 68,000 Pressure Drop: 0.5 PSI at 28 GPH 2.0 PSI at 56 GPH Working Press: 1000 PSI Min. Burst Press: 4000 PSI Temp. Range: -65'C to 125'C Fuel Ports: 1/4" Female NPT

Fuel Flow Transducer, FT-90 (Gold Cube): Range: 2 to 125+ GPH K Factor: Approx. 33,800 Pressure Drop: 0.5 PSI at 63 GPH 2.0 PSI at 127 GPH Working Press: 1000 PSI Min. Burst Press: 4000 PSI Temp. Range: -65'C to 125'C Fuel Ports: 1/4" Female NPT

Belgium

They use the Floscan transducer - see the installation manual, page 2, etc. They just call it something else in the main literature.

They do use higher K-factors than Shadin's usual 29800, however.

Administrator

EI makes their own transducers now (red/gold cubes). In their early days, they were using the ones from FloScan.

Belgium

That's quite a significant engineering exercise, with tooling for the injection moulded turbine, tooling for the diecast aluminium housing, tooling for the grommet where the wires come out, etc...

I wonder why they did that. The volumes can't be that big.

Administrator

Digging out this old thread…

I am realising that all I really need as an upgrade is

• LPV, and
  • a GPS which comes with paperwork that satisfies PRNAV (or whatever it is called today)

This is the current centre stack

I see the EX600 (shown here in post #61) still exists on the Avidyne website, and they come up used on US Ebay.

The mapdata support for the EX600 doesn’t really matter. I have not updated the KMD550 for 7 years and it doesn’t matter. The earth and the airports have not moved.

The problem is that 650+750 is going to cost some 30k, 2×IFD540 will be similar (and I hear of loads of QA issues with them) whereas a 650+ex600 could go in for much less and more importantly would be much less disruptive.

Does the EX600 have European VRPs?

It does seem to have georeferenced airport taxi diagrams.

What are the current options for Eurocontrol FP loading into a 650? I realise it has a keypad (a slightly strange one) and airway name entry is thus quick.

Or, the IFD440+EX600?

Administrator

Peter wrote:

What are the current options for Eurocontrol FP loading into a 650?

When I remember, I save the Autorouter-generated .gfp files onto the SD card and load them from there. Manual entry isn’t too painful though – airways support and the “predictive” feature they added a couple of years ago make it quite quick.

The GTN also has the European VRPs now.

EGEO

Does the EX600 have VRPs? That is where you need them; the GTN650 would just be a text entry box, like the KLN94 but better.

Administrator

Do you want to be able to enter the VRPs as direct-to points, or just see them on a map to steer manually?

Personally I like both, but I use Skydemon for the map/situational awareness part. I agree, the GTN650 is best treated as a text entry device for steering the autopilot enroute and guiding departures/approaches at each end. Even with the VRPs, it’s basically useless for VFR situational awareness.

EGEO

Peter wrote:

What are the current options for Eurocontrol FP loading into a 650?

You can get the new Flightstream 510 and wirelessly update databases and also upload flightplans from your iPad using Garmin Pilot….

EGTK Oxford
Sign in to add your message