Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

C510 weak battery, and starting jets in tailwind

The C510 battery capacity is 28Ah which is not much, and not enough when the plane has not been flown for some days.
One day I’ll be below 24V in a place where no GPU is available (probably out of hours) and I’ll be tempted to start the engine…
Even when a GPU is available requesting one will often result in a lost slot and a delay.
Do you think that this replacement battery http://concordebattery.com/pressreleases.php?id=58 , which is only slightly more rated (30Ah) but is, according to the manufacturer, better, might help?

Direct replacement of the original equipment battery with the RG-390E/30 offers benefits of prolonged service life and extended maintenance intervals as a result of enhanced plate design and a proprietary PolyGuard® separator system. High cyclic operations, that are susceptible to early battery wear out, will realize longer life as a result of the technology used in the RG-390E/30. Additionally, the robust design extends the inspection interval with initial inspection required at 12 months or 1000 hours in service and subsequent capacity tests at six months or 500 hours, when initial capacity exceeds 90%.
Concorde’s Platinum Series® Batteries are designed and manufactured with advanced lead acid technology. They are the preferred choice of airframe manufacturers and end users with a history of dependable starting performance in temperatures ranging from -40° to 71°C, longer battery life, and extra reserve capacity in the case of a generator failure

It is supposed to help. But in an emergency, plenty of people are known to have successfully started with 23 volts. Just watch your start temps very carefully. And of course, make sure you always disconnect the battery when stopping more than briefly.

EGTK Oxford

with a history of dependable starting performance in temperatures ranging from -40° to 71°C

That must be a joke I have witnessed a turbine start with a perfectly fine battery in Canada at -28C and the battery would barely power the PFD. No chance without external power (and massive engine pre heat) at those temperatures.

In the PA46 we have similar issues and what has helped so far is to keep the battery on a charger at all times when at the home base. Regarding the cost of those batteries a good idea anyway. Then on the PT6 what helps a lot is to have mental spool up reference values. On our plane when passing through 600C ITT it has to have 24% NG. If it is way below that we can abort before even approaching the temp limit and causing damage.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

to keep the battery on a charger at all times when at the home base

The AFM says that when charging the battery must remain on a continuous watch. The FBO where the plane is hangared won’t let me do it anyway.

Another question about the C510
How do you move it into the wind when the tailwind is above 10kt ? Do you need a towbar ? How many people are needed?

Last Edited by Piotr_Szut at 09 Dec 09:10

Piotr_Szut wrote:

Another question about the C510
How do you move it into the wind when the tailwind is above 10kt ? Do you need a towbar ? How many people are needed?

Yes, you need a towbar or ideally a motorised tug. People? It depends. Prob too much for 1 person but two people should be able to move it.

Piotr_Szut wrote:

The AFM says that when charging the battery must remain on a continuous watch. The FBO where the plane is hangared won’t let me do it anyway.

I never kept it on continuous charge and never had a problem. Just always disconnect it.

Last Edited by JasonC at 09 Dec 09:16
EGTK Oxford

There is the old “STC or Minor Alteration – Concorde battery” discussion

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

You need one of these:

GPU stick

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

+1 for disconnecting the battery.
We do it every night, we’ve never had an issue.
On the subject of parking into wind we try very hard to look ahead to make sure. We have been caught out; we once had to have all the passengers lend a hand in the pouring rain and gale force wind to push a CJ4 into the right direction.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Neil wrote:

On the subject of parking into wind we try very hard to look ahead to make sure.

Why?!
Is it some SOP?

EGTR
23 Posts
Sign in to add your message