Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

KSN770 - opinions?

LMAO.. I could do you the favour to make up something about the KFC225 but I guess I’ll do that next year. That issue will not go away in the mean time ;)

EDLN and EDKB

https://www.bendixking.com/Products/Displays/Multi-Function-Displays/KSN-770

The BendixKing KSN 770/765 is now certified.

The KSN 770 & KSN 765 are WAAS-Enabled Integrated MFD Navigators that optimize your flight data and situational awareness from departure to arrival.

The KSN770 combines touch screen buttons and knobs, presenting a hybrid interface that offers pilots the maximum choice of how they want to interface with the unit. The KSN770 also offers an onscreen keyboard control and eight-position joystick for additional data entry and control.

Designed to give both VFR and IFR pilots impressive amounts of information, displays can be easily configured for as little or as much information as desired, including single-screen or split-screen view. Add a single thumbnail display view for traffic, or two for both traffic and terrain, while displaying the map page as a third screen.

Unless they rewrote the touch screen implementation since showing it at EDNY in April, this product is at about the level of usability as the RNS510 satnav in my VW, which has already been replaced once because the touch screen was difficult to “touch” and the replacement is the same, at which point VW washed their hands of it saying they are all the same. So I just use it as a CD player.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Great to see that the heat is on! Finally some competition for Garmin.

Having said that I tried the KSN in Friedrichshafen. It is nowhere near the great interface and logic of the Avidyne.

To little ………. To late.

Having been a great fan of King avionics for the last twenty years and having a totally King aircraft I had been waiting for this for about five years but now is the time for my Avionic upgrade and I am not going to fit an untried unit from a manufacturer who seems to have lost their way in GA avionics and who would probably take another three years to get EASA certification.

Sorry guys but another one time loyal king customer has jumped ship to Garmin.

I would be seriously concerned about the recent history of the company. They abandoned the KFD840 suddenly, shortly after launch, though I don’t think they sold many. I know of only one definite installation in the UK and apparently the owner was later told it was certified VFR only. The KFD840 was made by a subcontractor and the KNS770 probably is also. If it doesn’t sell a lot, they will just drop it because the subcontractor won’t be interested in making it, which is why the KFD840 was dropped, according to the Honeywell man I spoke to.

I fly with a substantially Honeywell panel (the KCS-55 HSI etc has been only recently removed and replaced with the excellent Sandel stuff) and I am “intimately familiar” with the company and the way it goes about business… KFC225 anyone?

Whereas Avidyne are betting the whole business on the IFD540. Without it being successful, Avidyne has very little future and would have to just hope that their cash cows (the ex Ryan TAS boxes, mainly) run for long enough for them to have a go at something else (and what might that be??? – the low hanging fruit is gone). Their autopilot is severely limited in the aircraft model coverage by the 3rd party servos and autopilot certification is a big job in practice (flight testing) as well as in paper. Avidyne won’t drop the IFD540 unless the whole company goes bust.

The IFD540 is vastly nicer and IMHO a better user interface than the GTN750.

Administrator

Has anybody here come across anybody in Europe who has installed a KSN770?

Administrator

A few years back the KNS770 was my top option for the Avionic upgrade but following the joke that King product support has become I wont touch new King products because I don’t have any faith in their commitment to long term support.

My Avionic upgrade is almost all Garmin with only the well supported KN63 and KR87 from king because these two units can be fixed by good radio shops in the UK.

Apparently several (I do mean several) have been installed in the USA.

It is c. $15k with the terrain option – here

The sales brochure PDF is a year old. That could mean different things…

This is essentially an Aspen box. I see no evidence there is anybody left at Honeywell/BK who can program one line in Basic, or switch on a soldering iron. I guess EDNY (later this week) will be a chance to check it out.

Administrator

Not many bright spots in marketing / communications either. Gotta love picking a 60 year old Cherokee to illustrate the brochure – a plane that is probably worth one or two grand more than the box they sell. Yet another evidence that most GA minds live in some sort of a time warp.

Oh and it’s “Full VGA” – no less!!!

Last Edited by Shorrick_Mk2 at 14 Apr 10:18
Sign in to add your message