Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

New integrated AI instrument from uAvionics - AV30

Graham wrote:

Fit a G5 (or a GI275) in place of your AI.

Any reason for G5 or GI275 over the AV-30?

Graham wrote:

Remove your broken TC, replace it with the AI you just removed.

Yep, that’s a possibility.

ENOP ENVA

alge wrote:

Any reason for G5 or GI275 over the AV-30?

A couple:

1) Per the earlier discussion, when installing an AV-30 as a replacement AI it has to be locked in AI mode. This means you lose the HSI functionality and seems a bit needlessly restrictive. It may or may not be relevant depending on how you develop your panel, if at all.

2) The G5 in particular is a bit more established and installers will be more familiar. The AV-30 is a relatively new direction for uAvioniX and, without wanting to do them down I’d be looking to hear a bit more general feedback from the field about how the unit performs. There are an awful lot of G5s out there now and it seems almost universally praised. I would be taking the more conservative option, especially when they are priced about the same.

EGLM & EGTN

Graham wrote:

1) Per the earlier discussion, when installing an AV-30 as a replacement AI it has to be locked in AI mode. This means you lose the HSI functionality and seems a bit needlessly restrictive. It may or may not be relevant depending on how you develop your panel, if at all.

Right, but consider that Garmin charges more for a G5 to be configured as HSI than for one to be configured as an AI. If you want both functions, you have to pay for the HSI.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

Right, but consider that Garmin charges more for a G5 to be configured as HSI than for one to be configured as an AI. If you want both functions, you have to pay for the HSI.

Do they? I had no idea. We bought the version that is switchable between both – I had no idea that there is a cheaper AI-only version available.

EGLM & EGTN

Graham wrote:

Do they? I had no idea. We bought the version that is switchable between both – I had no idea that there is a cheaper AI-only version available.

Check Garmin’s G5 web page.

So it is. I guess we bought the ‘full fat’ version and perhaps didn’t even realise there were lesser-featured versions available.

In any case, only the fully-featured version fits the brief we gave our supplier and installer as to what we wanted to achieve. Looking at their website, the delta between the one we have and the most basic is only £700, and given this was a £15-20k project with a GTN650Xi going in to replace the GNS430 the £700 was in the noise.

AI-only for £2100 vs AI/HSI/nav interface for £2800….. no brainer.

EGLM & EGTN

Airborne_Again wrote:

It’s not the HSI mode that costs more – the firmware is exactly the same. The extra cost is for the GMU11 magnetometer and the GAD29B interface converter.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Ultranomad wrote:

It’s not the HSI mode that costs more – the firmware is exactly the same. The extra cost is for the GMU11 magnetometer and the GAD29B interface converter.

Aha! Thanks.

Ultranomad wrote:

When comparing a G5 to an AV-30 the devil is in the details. The above is correct, and/but the overall avionics setup is what will finally determine the total end cost. Just as an example, I only have a G5 AI but needed the GAD29B because the G5 only has an RS232 GPS interface and Garmin bus. I needed the ARINC 429 for interface to my IFD and that needs the GAD29B to convert. So the AI vs HSI isn’t the only criteria.

Similarly, the AV-30 HSI mode is not approved (yet) for IFR (& there is no glideslope indication). That will be a show-stopper for many. On the other hand, the AV-30 AI is a possible option to eliminate the vacuum system if a 2nd AI is the only remaining vacuum equipment.

LSZK, Switzerland

I needed the ARINC 429 for interface to my IFD and that needs the GAD29B to convert.

That’s quite funny. I’ve just built an RS232 to ARINC429 protocol converter Total parts cost for a simple version: about 20 quid! The challenge is that Garmin probably keep the RS232 data stream secret.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message