Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

New integrated AI instrument from uAvionics - AV30

I flew an aircraft the other week with a pair of AV-30’s fitted. I quite liked them. Very simple and fitted nicely in the instrument panel. I also liked the fact that they had no features to twidle with.

I wonder how reliable and robust they are.

Peter wrote:

I’ve just built an RS232 to ARINC429 protocol converter Total parts cost for a simple version: about 20 quid! The challenge is that Garmin probably keep the RS232 data stream secret.

The GAD29B isn’t an RS232 to ARINC429 converter, it’s a CAN-bus to ARINC429 converter. The G5 is also connected to the IFD via RS232, but that is limited to GPS input data. The G5 uses the CAN-bus for everything else, especially air data. For example, the IFD needs Baro-alt to auto sequence after a missed approach to altitude leg.

Also, while the AV-30 can be installed and configured to show a lot of information, it doesn’t output that data to anything such as a GPS/NAV/COM. Only output is audio. It does accept input from a GPS unit. Otherwise, interconnection is limited to controlling the uAvionix tailBeaconX ADS-B transponder.

Last Edited by chflyer at 27 Dec 08:53
LSZK, Switzerland

Yes; Garmin tend to use CAN for interconnecting their “cheaper” stuff. It is good because it is fairly easy to keep everything proprietary. CAN is complicated anyway, and it is ideal for creating a “closed universe” of avionics, where everybody has to buy Garmin.

All been done before of course; IBM were very good at this – until the US govt decided it was an anticompetitive practice (no sh*t sherlock, as they say here ) and told them they need to publish their documentation if they want to sell to the US govt. I was back then (1980s) in a business making IBM-compatible boxes and I remember these huge and beautifully written manuals arriving. But Garmin will always be below that radar.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Garmin certainly do share their own protocols. Garmin’s GTR200 VHF talks to Dynon Skyview via CAN. Similarly, they allow the Trig TY91 to talk to Garmin G3X over RS232.

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

Where are they published?

I am still looking for their WAAS GPS RS232 one

Administrator

They do licensing agreements.

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

wigglyamp wrote:

Garmin certainly do share their own protocols. Garmin’s GTR200 VHF talks to Dynon Skyview via CAN. Similarly, they allow the Trig TY91 to talk to Garmin G3X over RS232.

Did you mean some of their protocols? I doubt much of HSDB things (Gx000 suites) is shared.
Or GSR-56 / weather.

EGTR

They do licensing agreements.

Yeah, with people they like, and who signed an NDA. That’s exactly the same thing as I wrote. Keeps it nice and secret.

Or GSR-56 / weather.

Lots of stuff.

Administrator
38 Posts
Sign in to add your message