Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin GI275

Peter wrote:

A small correction: the EDM700 can be primary, per TC, e.g. TB20.

But the EDM700 doesn’t include all indications such as fuel quantity or provide the mandatory engine limitation markings shown in Chapter 2 of the AFM/POH.

Incidentally, the G5 and also the G500/Txi and now the GI275 will provide attitude in the event of loss of GPS data, it’s just required for aiding.

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

wigglyamp wrote:

When buying the EIS version, the cost includes either the GEA24 or GEA110 engine sensor interface (same boxes as already used with the G3X or G500Txi).

It would be interesting if that could make the GI275 a standby engine instrument for the Txi EIS – currently unless you install two TxIs, which is $$$, you have no back up if you loose the TxI (although if you just loose the screen and you have FS510, you can still see engine instruments on your iPad, I guess).

EGTF, LFTF

One needs to be careful to compare like for like, because in some cases the installation cost will be comparable to the cost of the box.

For example, if you get an EDM700 with the fuel flow option, you get not only a crappy user interface (which is why I much prefer the standalone Shadin box; also I have a spare) but also the installation will cost as much as the box. The CHT, EGT and oil probe wiring for an “EDM”-anything can be a bigger part of a week’s work (I’ve seen it done many times, and the best one was on a twin).

I would guess that installing some of the fuller configs of the GI275 would cost best part of 10k by the time it is all done properly, debugged, etc.

The “simple” KI256 replacement is going to be an extra CB, the wire for that, mounting a WAAS GPS antenna somewhere, running the RF cable, removing the vac pump and other parts… a few days probably.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Advantages over a G5 as an Artificial Horizon

- Can drive legacy autopilots
- Optional SVT
- Plastic panel overlay can remain intact

Sell it to me a bit more if I am missing something?

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

Now you have 2 rotating knobs (outer & inner) instead of just one. I like dedicated knobs for HDG and track.

EBST, Belgium

Peter wrote:

I would guess that installing some of the fuller configs of the GI275 would cost best part of 10k by the time it is all done properly, debugged, etc.

Which is why, for an engine monitor, I’d prefer something with a decent display: if you’re going to all that effort and expense, having the rather limited GI275 engine display doesn’t seem to give all that great value.

Even though I would have to spend a fraction of 10k to do mine since not being certified I can do nearly all the work on the installation, I still don’t find the GI275 attractive compared to the JPI offerings – it’s still a lot of my own time I have to spend doing the installation so I want something with a usefully large display when I get done.

Andreas IOM

JPI need to wake up and quickly increase capabilities and build quality…
If the EIS version of this GI275 can stream engine data to an iPad I am interested enough to sell my EDM930!

LSGG, LFEY, Switzerland

It does

EGTF, LFTF

Flyingfish wrote:

If the EIS version of this GI275 can stream engine data to an iPad
It can also store it to a USB drive via a GSB15.
ESMK, Sweden

I’ll be the contrarian and say that by the time I’m done getting the GI275 AI + HSI installed and hooked up to my KFC200 by a Garmin dealer, I’m close to an E5 + EA100 from Aspen…

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland
Sign in to add your message