Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin GI275

A pricing summary cross-posted from BeechTalk is below

$3195.00 is for the MFD model, no magnetometer, also can be installed outside dealer requirements.
The AHRS version is $3995.00 add about $300.00 for a magnetometer, if needed, $475.00 for a temp probe if needed.
If you need the AHRS +AP version to interface with 3rd party autopilots, it’s $4995.00 plus magnetometer ($300) and OAT ($475) if needed.
SVT unlock is $995.00

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

I see people…lots of people…at the Garmin booth in Aero Friedrichshafen 2020.

Better book an additional night

EBST, Belgium

finally.. the biggest advantage over G5 is that this now will help guys like me to completely get rid of the vacuum system and still keep my Century IIB autopilot.
Honestly they also look a lot better than boxy G5 which when installed over the existing panel overlay, never looks like it belongs there.

Switzerland

I would be really interested in seeing the IM.

What exactly is involved in just replacing a KI256?

The schematic can be found here. The KI256 draws no power (other than illumination) from 12/24V. It gets +15V and -15V from outside; typically from a KG102A.

I wonder if Garmin actually tested it with all the AML STC autopilots. An AML STC is like a B737 MAX but before the FAA got interested For example the KI256 spec is 400Hz excitation (and a KVG350 uses that) but a KC225 uses 512Hz which substantially changes the behaviour of a typical KI256. Some years ago I played around with an electric version of a KI256 which tests exactly to spec in a KI256 factory test fixture at 400Hz but which basically doesn’t work (a huge change in gain) at 512Hz. King tweaked the KC225 to accept these changed signals from a KI256 excited at 512Hz.

From the KFC225 MM (yes, getting hold of it was hard):

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I few gotchas I found on a US site:

It needs a WAAS GPS source even if used only to replace a KI256. This can be achieved with a WAAS antenna, because the GPS is internal. It’s been suggested Garmin sell one for about $200.

This is because – unlike mechanical gyros – AHRS based AI certification requires GPS data (or airdata – see many threads; example) for the background erection.

The Garmin page is here.

Autopilot compatibility

Administrator

denopa wrote:

why install a JPI EDM when you can put this and have it as a back up for your AI/HSI?

Looking at the Garmin site, it isn’t quite one box can do it all – there are different versions and the one that can be an engine monitor doesn’t have the pitot/static connections, and the engine monitor (EIS) version of the GI275 starts at about US$5K, but the JPI EDM 830 starts at about half that price. The JPI also has a much larger, more useful screen (and the back still fits a standard instrument hole).

Last Edited by alioth at 16 Jan 11:13
Andreas IOM

A few points about engine monitoring:

• you can also pick up an EDM700 for a fraction of above costs, and it does all one actually needs
  • it is highly desirable to have the EGT display in the primary view, because that is the first warning you get of any fuel related issues
  • it is highly desirable (as well as mandatory) to have the AI display in the primary view

In fact I wonder how Garmin managed to get an AI replacement for a KI256 (which most deffo must be in primary view) certified, with alternate screens displayable which remove the AI view. Not that I am complaining but I would never install such an either/or instrument.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

It needs a WAAS GPS source even if used only to replace a KI256. This can be achieved with a WAAS antenna, because the GPS is internal. It’s been suggested Garmin sell one for about $200.
This is because – unlike mechanical gyros – AHRS based AI certification requires GPS data (or airdata – see many threads; example) for the background erection.

This is no different to the existing G5. The use of the dedicated GPS antenna also allows for basic Direct-To navigation through the unit with it’s internal database in the event of a failure of the external WAAS navigator

alioth wrote:

Looking at the Garmin site, it isn’t quite one box can do it all – there are different versions and the one that can be an engine monitor doesn’t have the pitot/static connections, and the engine monitor (EIS) version of the GI275 starts at about US$5K, but the JPI EDM 830 starts at about half that price. The JPI also has a much larger, more useful screen (and the back still fits a standard instrument hole).

The GI275 is approved for Primary engine indication, unlike the EDM700/830, so not a direct comparison. When buying the EIS version, the cost includes either the GEA24 or GEA110 engine sensor interface (same boxes as already used with the G3X or G500Txi).

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

A small correction: the EDM700 can be primary, per TC, e.g. TB20.

Yes the G5 AI function would have had the same requirements (GPS or airdata).

Administrator

The JPI EDM 900 is approved as a primary display, and starts out around $1700 less expensive (and even the highest cost EDM 900 is still a little bit cheaper than the GI275). The EDM 900 also has a much larger more useful display.

Andreas IOM
Sign in to add your message