Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin GI275

No more need for a FlightStream, the GI275 have built-in BT/WiFi/Connext

1.8 WIRELESS CONNECTIVITY (GARMIN CONNEXT)
The MFI has built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth capabilities. Connext allows for a wireless
connection between the MFI and a Personal Electronic Device (PED) running the Garmin Pilot
application and provides up-to-date information throughout the cockpit.
ESMK, Sweden

Does that require the annual GP subscription to work?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Does that require the annual GP subscription to work?

I expect so. Foreflight can use some core Connext features, such as bidirectional flight plan exchange, too. However, additionally to the missing features (such as calls, SMS and weather info from the GSR or FIS-B), I find it works less well. E.g. VRPs are not transmitted correctly, a direct-to to a point in the STAR or APP makes the flight plan be rejected by Foreflight.

ELLX

I’ll be the contrarian and say that by the time I’m done getting the GI275 AI + HSI installed and hooked up to my KFC200 by a Garmin dealer, I’m close to an E5 + EA100 from Aspen…

OK, but what will be your backup AI ?

EBST, Belgium

airways wrote:

OK, but what will be your backup AI ?

Do I need one with the E5? I don’t think so – the product page says “Backup attitude indicator not required” in the “Features” tab. If I want one, I can put in anything I want, perhaps the AV-30, just for kicks. Or the KI300 ;-)

But the point I am trying to make is that I don’t consider the GI275 the bee’s knees, nor hen’s teeth. Yes, I am very happy it appeared, because it gives me options, but, being the skeptic that I usually am, I’ll wait and see, not send a check to a Garmin installer. A blank one, too, because noone knows how much install work will be needed. Much more than the G5’s, I’m sure, just looking at the number of pins in the connectors. Even if half are not used / reserved / for things I don’t need/want connected.

But I’m more than happy for one and all to go get one installed and sell me their KI256s for scrap heap value. Which, as much as I admire their precise mechanical construction, is where they belong.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

For IFR, a backup attitude indicator is required with an E5.

I’m thinking E5 + KI256 as backup and AP-driver.
I have two units, so…

Not sure if the GI275 is a god’s gift neither. It is not cheap and the information on the display looks tiny.

EBST, Belgium

There is a lot of unverified complexity around the GI275. It appears that if you want to use it for just the KI256/KG258 emulation, you get some other stuff displayed which cannot be disabled. The IM doesn’t clarify it.

This is from a US site:

In general, leaving inputs unconnected may disable that feature if it is a digital input. You may however get an error message. If it is an analog input (a voltage) then leaving it unconnected is unlikely to disable that feature. One exception I know is the oil temp sensor on an EDM700 which if unconnected triggers the usual “open circuit thermocouple” detection and disables the 7th bar from the display.

Administrator

wigglyamp wrote:

FAA AML STC in place covering pretty much all Part 23 types including Class 3/4 (so up to turbo-props for some functions)

Oddly, the G5 AML covers types that the GI-275 AML does not, and I’m guessing vice versa. Sometimes I wonder where AMLs come from – it seems almost random and not technical. My greatest interest would be in removing the vacuum system and adding a bit a data for VFR flying without changing the appearance of the instrument panel.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 26 Jan 18:14

I would expect Garmin to be doing all this in-house, under the ODA which they got when they bought UPSAT.

It would be logical to steer different products into different markets by manipulating the AML list You never want to compete with yourself.

Administrator

Trying to find a “gotcha” against the following EIS solution:
When re-doing a panel, install an i-pad connexted to this GI-275 and all of a sudden you have a large display, with full logging (not just engine but also flight data so you can correlate). Cost would be lower than an EDM930 with a much better user interface.
What am I missing or underestimating?

LSGG, LFEY, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message