Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aero Commander 680 Can It Be Reskined

Hello, can anyone educate me on whether or not an Aero Commander 680E can be reskinned. The Commander had an owner who sanded the airplane and to my inexperienced eye it seems that he sanded the rivets down flat. So I’m wonder if it turns out that this has compromised the skins integrity, is it possible to reskin the airplane and if so what would a ballpark cost be. I don’t know that the entire airplane is compromised, but along both side of the fuselage its seems that the sanding was done till the rivets are flat.

Trying to Find My Dream Aero Commander
Santa Monica, United States

This is the Commander I’m looking to purchase.. Don’t know if you can tell by the pics what the skin looks like up close.

@AdamFrisch ?

Last Edited by airways at 19 Jan 09:49
EBST, Belgium

This is the Commander I’m looking to purchase.. Don’t know if you can tell by the pics what the skin looks like up close.

Can I ask why you want to buy a twin with such big issues? I have a local twin-turbine here that could be much more easily sorted and I have ruled it out. It’s so easy to buy a flying twin, I don’t need to every try pick up a project one.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

Hello WilliamF, My first time here. I’ve sent you a message to message with my reasoning behind purchasing this aircraft.

DoAnything wrote:

The Commander had an owner who sanded the airplane and to my inexperienced eye it seems that he sanded the rivets down flat

That shouldn’t be possible unless using some sort of cutter. Are you sure what you are seeing isn’t perfectly normal flush rivets?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Hello LeSving
Im going to be at the airport at 9 am today and Ill take close up pics … I base it on what some pilots have commented at the airport. I see it normal smooth flat but some say that it so flat that the skin could pop out where the rivets are completely flat…

I remember Her Majesty’s Vikers Vikings of the Queen’s Flight were polished so much the rivets had to be replaced. 1950s. When there was National Service, and the conscripts had to be kept busy.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

27 Posts
Sign in to add your message