Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aero Commander 680 Can It Be Reskined

Aero Commander up close …

Trying to Find My Dream Aero Commander
Santa Monica, United States

I am surprised nobody has mentioned this already but the dimple in the middle of this rivet is as it came. That rivet has not been sanded down.

One mechanic told me those dimples are intended as a pilot for a drill in case the rivet has to be drilled out.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes, those are flush or sunk rivets, so not sanded down. Very common on Commanders and many other aircraft.

I answered your DM explaining how long this aircraft has been sitting and why it’s better to look elsewhere. It’s an orphan and with unobtanium parts. It also has corrosion and a myriad of other problems. Just overhauling the engines would be $60K/side. That’s $120K before you’ve even gotten to all the rest. Props have a 250hr AD unless they have been upgraded to MV hub (highly unlikely as she’s been sitting for so long). Overhaul of props a minimum of $15K and then you still have to comply with that 250hr AD regularly. To eliminate that, you have to buy new props and new hub for $40K+ (welcome to Hartzell’s business model). This would be a $500K plane to get right. You can get in to a mint 500B (a superior plane in every way, too) for less than a third of that.

I don’t want to dampen your enthusiasm, as I think there’s not enough of that in aviation, but after 10 years of aircraft ownership, you kind of learn the hard way why things are the way they are. It’s very hard to find shortcuts or “game the system”. Like I said in email, a classic airplane is much different from a classic car. A car you can restore and most likely get your money back on if it’s a popular model. In aviation it’s not that way (unless it’s a warbird). So, you either restore an aircraft knowing fully that it will never fetch what you have in it. And that’s fine, if it somehow satisfies you in other ways. But there are easier ways to go insane…

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 20 Jan 06:18

I totally agree. I replied to your DM and was hoping you could shoot me the info on the 680FP.. I put my email and cell contact number in the DM. Would really like to know about your friend’s 680FP.

Yes, flush rivets, no problems there, but some serious corrosion all over.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Thank you guy for all the help and advise.. I’m taking it. I pass on this old bird. Sad to see here end that way but life is to short to risk on corrosion. Thanks.

By the way if anyone knows of an Aero Commander 680E for sale, fixer upper, flyable but in need of engine overhaul or getting close to it that is being sold inexpensively please let me know. Please DM me with any lead would be appreciated.

John Houlder’s (RIP) 680E is on the ramp mummy line at Elstree

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/5811120

Don’t believe it has flown in a few years but was reasonably cared for when Mr Houlder used to fly it airways for his ski trips to Switzerland…in his mid 90’s

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Thanks… hoping for something in the states but thanks. I’m in Progue in June, maybe worth the 700 miles to take a look.

I sent an email connecting you with Glenn who has the 680FP.

The 680E that Houlder had flew a lot and probably decently maintained. But it’s a high time aircraft and I think it has a radar modification that’s a little unusual and that you would have to remove.

Why in particular do you want the 680 model? Is it the geared engines you are after? Because you also get them on the 560 models, so don’t discard those. They’re essentially the same planes, just different type certificates and minor changes.

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 20 Jan 22:40
Sign in to add your message