Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

GNS 530 Procedure Turns

10 Posts

I have a special question.
My GNS 530 (non WAAS) shows procedure turns like a hold pattern but it don’t show me theEntries as
TEARDROP, PARALLEL or DIRECT.
In consequence the AP ist not able to fly that procedure in APR mode. For the desired endry heading I have to fly in HDG Bug mode.
As remark, the Garmin 400/500 Simulator / Trainer perfectly shows all entries and follows exactly the magenta drawing line, but only
on the trainer. Unfortunately my GNS don’t work so. Is there anything what I have to consider?
Thanks in advance
Thomas

Berlin, Germany

My guess is either configuration of the unit (less likely) or firmware version upgrade (more likely).

ELLX

Does your autopilot follow the magenta line after a waypoint (GPS activated, NAV mode) or do you generally fly in HDG mode ?
What are your avionics ?

Last Edited by EuroFlyer at 20 Jan 15:37
Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

It’s the firmware that comes with the WAAS box that enables this:

From here:

The new software will further enable full GPS steering for procedure turns, holding patterns and DME arcs (with compatible roll-steering autopilot).

My AP follow always the magenta line left or right whatever has been loaded. Together with my Sandel SN 3308 in AUTO SLEW mode.
But in that case what I mine there is no entry pictures ( teardrop, parallel or direct) on the GNS and without line I have to switch HDG
BUG.

Last Edited by Thomas at 20 Jan 17:53
Berlin, Germany

Is it really true, that a GNS (WAAS) is capable only.

Berlin, Germany

Yes

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

Thomas wrote:

Is it really true, that a GNS (WAAS) is capable only.

Yes, and if you want the autopilot to fly the holde entry and the hold itself, you will need an autopilot that has roll steering (aka GPSS) or an adapter that provides roll steering when the autopilot is in heading mode.

KUZA, United States

Thomas wrote:

Together with my Sandel SN 3308 in AUTO SLEW mode.

do you have a digital autopilot or an analog one, and if the latter, do you have a GPSS roll steering device, such as the S-Tec GDC31 ?
If you have a flight plan active in the Garmin, you may have noticed the message that appears shortly before the turn from a waypoint to the next one. The message first is a countdown displaying “turn xxx ° in y seconds” and then “turn xxx° now”. This information is being put out as a digital signal, in a format called ARINC429, which can be read by digital autopilots. If you have an older analog autopilot, the signal needs to be converted into an analog voltage number which is being sent to the Autopilot via the HSI; essentially making the autopilot think you are turning the heading bug. With WAAS you will also be able to fly a glidepath, provided you have an LPV approach.
Hope I described it correctly…. I had to do that as well, had to install that device in addition to my WAAS upgrade so that my KFC150 AP can fly approaches, and glideslopes. Hope that helps as a general information.

Now, if the Sandel automatically turns the pointer in this auto slew mode, you most likely don’t need a GPSS device, but in order to make it fly approaches, you still need the WAAS upgrade. If it also lets you fly a vertical GS, I don’t know.

Last Edited by EuroFlyer at 21 Jan 13:55
Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

My airplane with GNS 530, KAP 150 ( analog) and HSI ( Sandel 3308) completely flies
all the approaches, but no HOLD-ENTRIES. I am very grateful for the participation in that case.
After these information, I’m considering what is the best way to fly the appropriate entry into a hold?
I assume, after passing the initial point into the hold, switch the AP from APP-MODE to HDG-BUG, fly the entry-turn, and intercept the final course
to runway by set GNS on GPS VECTORS and CDI. I’m very interested to collect more experience.
Thomas

Last Edited by Thomas at 21 Jan 14:21
Berlin, Germany
10 Posts
Sign in to add your message