Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

STEC 55X question (does not follow HDG or NAV)

I recently purchased for my flight school a nice PA28 Arrow III from 2002. All nice, prebuy done and during the delivery flight the murphy kicked in. The Stec Gyro looked sloppy . I flew straight and level since seconds when it still indicated a turn. The autopilot check passed but the lateral modes did not worked properly. Mode engaged, but did not follow the HDG or NAV commands. Slowly started to turn irrespective of the HDG select .
On the ground, the functional test passed. Moving the HDG bud left/right the servos did they job. I plan to send the Turncoordinator to test first to Straubing.
Did anybody have similar experience with Meggit/ Stec
Thanks

Zsolt Szüle
LHTL, Hungary

The problems that I had with the 55X was entirely down to moisture in the the Static lines, you have been draining them as a pre flight?

Looks like your TC needs an overhaul.
I did send mine to Straubing for a check because the STEC55X was not working well. Came back with “no findings”.
The test was not expensive and if it needs an overhaul, no one can do it better than Avionik Straubing, so yes, I would send it.
You can remove it yourself. One connector in the back.

LSGG, LFEY, Switzerland

Thank you guys. Will do it right away.

Zsolt Szüle
LHTL, Hungary

Zsoszu wrote:

Thank you guys. Will do it right away.

I had my Century IIB autopilot controller tested and fixed at SIBA Avionique in France. They fixed it and returned with a Form 1 within 3 days and it works great.
Might be worth to ask them for an overhaul offer too.

Switzerland
5 Posts
Sign in to add your message