Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Moving the date of the Annual Check on N Reg

Does anyone know if it’s possible to move the date of the Annual Check on an N Reg aircraft.

My aircraft has been on maintenance for 3 months and will shortly be returning to service.

The last Annual Check is dated 1st June (not great as it’s prime flying time) and it would be much better to move this to the date in the next week or so, that will coincide with the Release to Service following maintenance. The work being done is a repaint and 100 hour check.

My understanding is that the 100 hour check for an N Reg aircraft is very similar to an Annual Check, other than time based requirements like AD’s etc.

Is it possible to bring forward the date of Release to Service to sometime in February?

EGLK, United Kingdom

“Except as provided in paragraph (c) of this section, no person may operate an aircraft carrying any person (other than a crew member) for hire, and no person may give flight instruction for hire in an aircraft which that person provides, unless within the preceding 100 hours of time in service the aircraft has received an annual or 100-hour inspection and been approved for return to service in accordance with part 43 of this chapter or has received an inspection for the issuance of an airworthiness certificate in accordance with part 21 of this chapter”

https://www.boldmethod.com/blog/2014/05/100-hour-inspections-explained/

Are you sure you need to be doing 100hr checks firstly?

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

There is no FAA 100hr service unless you are carrying paying passengers or training others in your plane. Post crossed with William’s above.

The other source for a “100hr” service is the MM but except for Chapter 1 items those service intervals are not mandatory on an N-reg. Some types i.e. the SR22 have a 100hr service in their MM but it has no practical meaning because you still have to do the “50hr” for oil change reasons. The TB20 has a 100hr service in the MM too; meaningless really. The MM service schedule is mandatory for an EASA-reg if you want to do an SDMP, apparently.

You can bring any service to an earlier date. You just waste some money

I know of two ways to bring a service to a later date:

• not fly the plane for a bit (some G-reg syndicates do this when reaching the 150hr point, which is almost an Annual)
  • arrange for the service to be done at the end of a month and signed off on the 1st of the next month (then you gain 1 month per year)
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Please do note that if you have a Lycoming fuel-injected engine, this AD would apply at 100 hours:

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgad.nsf/AOCADSearch/B39E0B81ACB0F30786257ECF005D80C7?OpenDocument

local copy

Although FAA 100h checks are not mandatory for the scope of aircraft use in the explanations above, this makes an engine-specific 100h check (with the tolerances specified in the AD) mandatory so I normally use that as an opportunity to combine that with an AMM-scope 100h check.

Last Edited by wbardorf at 30 Jan 09:29
EGTF, EGLK, United Kingdom

Yes; that AD is the inspection of the fuel injector lines. One does it at every oil change.

It can mean that every 2nd service cannot be done under pilot privileges, because you need an A&P to do any AD compliance items.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The aircraft is not for hire. It’s private use only.

Thanks for the info about the 100 hour check.

Can the date of the Annual be moved though?

EGLK, United Kingdom

Yes. Just do the annual early, and it will apply from that date, terminating at the end of the calendar month one year later.

Andreas IOM

You can do an Annual Inspection any time, the only thing you can’t do is fly the plane without either a current Annual Inspection or a Ferry Permit. If in your circumstance an IA were to make a new Annual Inspection logbook entry, perhaps based on a 100 hr inspection competed recently and signed off by an A&P, you have a new date. However, he will not revise the date of an existing Annual Inspection logbook entry, particularly if there are other entries entered later.

The month of my FAA annual moves every year, one month backwards under normal circumstances, more if I have a few weeks of upgrades on the agenda or if for some reason (perhaps being out of town) I can’t get it done in the 13th month. I fly it to the end of the 12th month.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 30 Jan 15:20

The annual inspection can also be signed off before the maintenance is complete, it just needs to be signed off as unairworthy with a list of discrepancies provided to the owner/operator. When the discrepancies are disposed of and the maintenance is complete, the aircraft is returned to service with a normal log book entry and the date of the annual is the date of the inspection.

KUZA, United States

I’ve generally moved my annual backward by a month a year, i.e. annual due by end June, deliver plane to shop late June, collect in July, next annual due end July the following year. Perfectly legal as long as you don’t fly it while it’s “in the shop”. If there is a long annual (e.g. due to engine overhaul) then you get the annual signed off for he last month it’s in the shop.

Conversely if it needs significant maintenance ahead of the annual due time, you can have the do an annual while they’re at it and advance it for the following year. Done that too.

LFMD, France
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message