Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Autopilot electronics guru?

I need help!
During my last annual I had the bright idea of trying to clean the drive motors in the servos of my STEC55X.
I had seen my previous shop do it by removing the back cap of the motor and carefully removing the black dust that had accumulated around the area where the graphite brushes contact the axle.

Fortunately, I started with the Yaw Damper servo which I never use because it doesn’t work well. Accessibility was poor but I stubbornly pushed on. Bad idea…
After cleaning I was unable to reassemble.
After a few attempts, a bunch of small parts jumped out and were spread all over the place :-(

My A&P helped me remove the servo and I recovered all parts (I think). I am looking for a way to rebuild or replace this motor. Any ideas apart from sending to Avionik Straubing? Is it possible to buy the motor somewhere?

Thanks!

LSGG, LFEY, Switzerland

There is this old school guy that actually helps you get stuff fixed – Bob Weber. He’s on the other side of the pond. You could do worse than giving him a call (mind the time delta). Details on https://webairconsulting.com/

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

Thank you tmo! I am in touch with Bob and he said he may be able to help.

LSGG, LFEY, Switzerland

Is it a Globe motor?

To do mine I machined up a thingy from brass which is the same diameter as the commutator, to prevent the brushes jumping out until the whole thing is back together. Hard to explain… Your brushes obviously jumped out, inwards, so to speak.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes it is a globe. Now that it is removed from the aircraft, I am confident I can get the brushes to behave and let me reassemble.
My issue is that I broke and lost (!) the insulator disk ( beige coloured and perforated part on the photo). Any idea how to clone this? what material?.

PS Bob has stopped responding to my emails …

LSGG, LFEY, Switzerland

I heard Avionic Straubing has a couple of AP wizards. They should be able to help.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
6 Posts
Sign in to add your message