Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Do we all need ADS-B Out & Mode S by 7th Dec 2020 in Europe?

No idea about the US products; sorry. They sometimes get posted here and then someone points out that such and such is UAT and not 1090MHz…

@ncyankee will know it all.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes, Sky Beacon is UAT. The most innovative avionics product in many years.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 21 Jun 19:34

Peter wrote:

Actually TCAS2 uses Mode S because the transponders negotiate mutually before doing an RA (resolution advisory). An airliner will still get a warning from a purely Mode C emitter, but no RA AFAIK.

TCAS II can used mode S or C for RAs. The only problem with C is if altitude is not encoded. Negotiation only happens between two TCAS aircraft.

Last Edited by JasonC at 21 Jun 19:56
EGTK Oxford

It appears there is some confusion around me concerning the requirement for mode S for IFR flight in general. Does everyone agree that mode S is a requirement for all IFR activity and that no-one knows of any “pockets” anywhere in the Single European Sky with exemptions for that?

huv
EKRK, Denmark

huv wrote:

It appears there is some confusion around me concerning the requirement for mode S for IFR flight in general. Does everyone agree that mode S is a requirement for all IFR activity and that no-one knows of any “pockets” anywhere in the Single European Sky with exemptions for that?

It really is simple — at least for light aircraft.

As of today, each country/ANSP decides if they require mode S for IFR or not. There are lots of places (although possibly not in Central Europe) were this is not required. Sweden, Norway, Finland and (I believe) Denmark are examples.

As of December 20 this year, mode S will be required for IFR in all of EASA-land. No exemptions, although of course in practice ATC won’t know unless they have mode S equipment. (But your flightplan is unlikely to be accepted by Eurocontrol unless you specify mode S.)

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

What an extremely bad idea to require mode s for all IFR traffic (as in only IFR traffic). This is just going to ensure its more difficult for IR pilots to remain current by further reducing the fleet available to them. How many clubs where the majority of members fly primarily within 10nm of the field are going to pay to keep their planes IFR legal? If they were going to require it they should have required it for flight in controlled airspace.

Sweden

It will also drive VFR in IMC.

I would expect every country that allows IFR in Class G to ignore this.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Mode S is obligatory for IFR flights in France and has been for some time. Framce also allows IFR in class G airspace.

France

Silvaire wrote:

Yes, Sky Beacon is UAT. The most innovative avionics product in many years.

Yes, but tailBeaconX is 1090MHz with built-in GPS & diversity. Currently experimental, but STC pending (announced for mid-2020, but I don’t believe that). A very interesting product for under $3’000 plus control head (AV-20-E @$900, AV-30-E @$1600, or GRT or MGL EFIS …. Avidyne soon ???). Supports RS232/2400bps81N plus protocols UCP, SL-70, or STX-165R whatever that is).

The AV-30-E is a fabulous traditional AI/DG replacement that can serve as a xpdr control head at the same time and competes very well with the G5.

LSZK, Switzerland

chflyer wrote:

Yes, but tailBeaconX is 1090MHz with built-in GPS & diversity. Currently experimental, but STC pending (announced for mid-2020, but I don’t believe that). A very interesting product for under $3’000 plus control head (AV-20-E @$900, AV-30-E @$1600, or GRT or MGL EFIS …. Avidyne soon ???). Supports RS232/2400bps81N plus protocols UCP, SL-70, or STX-165R whatever that is).

They are approved diversity transponders??

EGTK Oxford
Sign in to add your message