Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Displaying traffic radiating uncertified ADS-B OUT on certified panel mounted avionics

From here

@Peter wrote:

However, to get a fairly universal “TCAS” benefit from ADS-B the emitter has to be certified, otherwise it will show up only on uncertified receivers, which for the most part don’t feed into any warning system (you have to keep staring at the Ipad while flying).

According to their website, the Air Avionics widget does receive SIL=0 and feed it to panel avionics and audio.

I haven’t tried it though; a panel-mounted iPad works fine for me, with BT connections to the GTN and audio panel.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Hmmm interesting

Well spotted! They must have reverse engineered the Garmin TIS data stream. I was thinking about doing that here

Unless there is a catch, this is a better way of implementing ADS-B IN than any certified solution – provided you have a GTN box for all the display device(s), which I don’t.

I will ask them if they can merge the TAS605’s traffic output, and emit the generic ARINC429 traffic data stream, and what display devices it’s been tested with. The TAS605 (or other active TAS) is still the best for general traffic detection, because transponders are common.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Reply from Air Avionics:

So if you have no TAS box, this works, but of course will display only ADS-B emitters. I have again asked for a confirmation of what their output stream actually works with, except, presumably, a GTN.

Administrator

I asked about compatibility and got this

Our ADS-B receiver does not differentiate different source integrity levels regarding the data output.
Basically, we use the ARINC735 protocol, actually a subset thereof.
You would have to test to be sure that it works on the SANDEL or King display, we have, however, never experienced incompatibilities. Normally it is used on GARMIN GTN/GNS/G1000, Avidyne, Aspen etc.

I have no idea what ARINC735 means. Perhaps @wigglyamp might know?

Administrator

Peter wrote:

what ARINC735 means

That’s the TCAS standard.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 22 Jun 09:21
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Well, yes, that’s what google says but is the physical layer ARINC429, RS232, etc?

The Garmin traffic data stream is supposedly secret. I never found documentation on the Avidyne ARINC429 one; that’s secret also but has clearly been widely reverse engineered, or licensed.

Administrator
6 Posts
Sign in to add your message