Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin GMA345 & Audio Bluetooth recording function

Howdy All!

The aircraft I fly is having a GMA345 installed. It comes with a function that allows pairing to a GARMIN action camera or third-party camera as per the manual.

GMA345 Pilot’s Guide

See Page 27. It quite clearly states the following.

NOTE: The third party camera must support receiving audio via the
Bluetooth Hands-Free Profile.
NOTE: The third party camera must initiate the initial pairing process
with the GMA 345.

Which makes me wonder, can you just pair it to your phone? Download a specific app, or buy a digital bluetooth audio recorder to get crystal clear audio rather than set it up to a camera? I don’t think GoPro’s have the function, sadly?

Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

I never found an action cam which could receive audio via bluetooth. Maybe there is something today… but the action cam market has collapsed. Sony have got out of it, Go-Pro nearly went bust… If Garmin do it that’s useful because you can have it externally mounted and don’t need a cable, and don’t need a separate audio recorder.

Have to say though that audio recording when flying with passengers is tricky. Most people don’t like it (they have to trust you to edit it out afterwards) so my videos have the sound track mostly when I am flying alone. And if recording, one needs to be able to interrupt the recording when discussing something you don’t want to get recorded, but without losing time sync, so I pull the 3.5mm lead out of the Tascam recorder and that does it. If I was recording via BT that would be difficult or impossible.

Previous threads on audio recording.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Most people don’t like it

Really? Have you really ever met a single person who has an issue with that? These are really interesting things to discuss because they can show how different the “filter bubble” of people one interacts with is – even in real life. Not a single person who I have flown with and done videos with has ever mentioned any concern at all. Most love the videos that come out of it.

On the other hand in Germany, when flying alone – what is there to record? ATC? That is actually the tricky bit because as ridiculous as it is, like the “unattended airfield” thing, it is still prohibited to record, among others, ATC radio communication.

Peter wrote:

one needs to be able to interrupt the recording when discussing something you don’t want to get recorded

Now I’m ever so curious what kind of things you discuss when airborne that shouldn’t be recorded.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

I’ll bite – when flying with friends, we sometimes go off on tangents I wouldn’t want repeated outside of the immediate circle. I’d be fine with recording any ATC interactions, but intercom, not so much.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

tmo wrote:

I’ll bite – when flying with friends, we sometimes go off on tangents I wouldn’t want repeated outside of the immediate circle. I’d be fine with recording any ATC interactions, but intercom, not so much.

On our Bahamas trip last year, on one leg we had the girls in the back and my male friend and I in the front and the intercom was set to “Pilot and Copilot” only and supposedly the GoPro attached audio cable was recording the Pilot and Copilot and ATC comms. However, it turned out that the cable was plugged into one of the rear headsets, so it had all the juicy girl’s talk on record that we later promised we would not listen to. I kept my word and never went through that video file with audio on, so I don’t know what I’m missing out on.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

Now I’m ever so curious what kind of things you discuss when airborne that shouldn’t be recorded

Mum’s the word

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
6 Posts
Sign in to add your message