Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Distance learning course for Part66 TK

A few months ago, I found an ad in an aviation magazine about a college offering distance learning for Part66 licences (TK obviously).
Personal life looks like I will have time to take a distance learning course.
It is mainly for education, learning stuff about airplanes and learning how mechanics are trained. Maybe one day, I can take a sabbatical year someday and get the PART66 license. It could always help to build/maintain a homebuild too, or help at a flying club etc…
I found in France :
- Novae
- a lycee astier in Bourgogne
- Air formation
- Aerocampus

There may be others. IAAG (maybe the most famous french school) only offer onsite training (normal or accelerated).
Any recommendations for a school ? Any general advice ? I am completely new to these regs.
As I am focused on piston airplanes, I guess A2, B1.2 or B3 categories are the most adequate ?
How long are the TK valid for gathering the practical experience ?

LFOU, France

You may learn less than you expected

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

TK is valid for 10 years and you can do all modular (still have 5 modules left from 2012 ), there is also the hassle is getting enough practical experience as this has to be done in big maintenance places

You need good personal motivation, maintaining your own certified aircraft? (do you need part66 for uncertified homebuilt? you just find a good builder and learn from him), it is the worst financial, education, revenue, money investment one can make for a part-time aviation hobby, maybe Aeroclub flight instructor is way more rewarding?

Most people who were in the exam room had 3years-10years full-time practical experience, the TK was just a painful stamp to get their CAA papers…

Last Edited by Ibra at 02 Jul 12:56
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

http://www.lyc-denis-cerny.ac-versailles.fr/

I’m doing the distance learning for Part 66 B3 there. Already passed modules 1 to 5.

Last Edited by Guillaume at 02 Jul 14:18

What are the different categories for a person that can work on a/c and avionics?
I mean in layman’s terms?

EGTR

@Jujupilote, unlike CPL/ATPL, you don’t have to take any courses for Part 66, you can just read the books and sit exams one by one. B3 is fine for small aircraft; B1.2 gives you a path towards bigger ones, and A2 is a dead end – it can only be used when working at a Part-145 maintenance organisation, no good for freelance work.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Ultranomad wrote:

B3 is fine for small aircraft; B1.2 gives you a path towards bigger ones, and A2 is a dead end – it can only be used when working at a Part-145 maintenance organisation, no good for freelance work.

@Ultranomad, what are those?

EGTR

@arj1, quoting from Part-66:

66.A.3 Licence categories and subcategories

Aircraft maintenance licences include the following categories and, where applicable, subcategories and system ratings:
(a) Category A, divided into the following subcategories:
— A1 Aeroplanes Turbine;
— A2 Aeroplanes Piston;
— A3 Helicopters Turbine;
— A4 Helicopters Piston.
(b) Category B1, divided into the following subcategories:
— B1.1 Aeroplanes Turbine;
— B1.2 Aeroplanes Piston;
— B1.3 Helicopters Turbine;
— B1.4 Helicopters Piston.
(c) Category B2
The B2 licence is applicable to all aircraft.
(d) Category B2L
The B2L licence is applicable to all aircraft other than those in Group 1 as set out in Point 66.A.5(1) and is divided into the following ‘system ratings’:
— communication/navigation (com/nav),
— instruments,
— autoflight,
— surveillance,
— airframe systems.
A B2L licence shall contain, as a minimum, one system rating.
(e) Category B3
The B3 licence is applicable to piston-engine non-pressurised aeroplanes of 2 000 kg Maximum Take-off Mass (MTOM) and below.
(f) Category L, divided into the following subcategories:
— L1C: composite sailplanes,
— L1: sailplanes,
— L2C: composite powered sailplanes and composite ELA1 aeroplanes,
— L2: powered sailplanes and ELA1 aeroplanes,
— L3H: hot-air balloons,
— L3G: gas balloons,
— L4H: hot-air airships,
— L4G: ELA2 gas airships,
— L5: gas airships other than ELA2.
(g) Category C
The C licence is applicable to aeroplanes and helicopters.

66.A.20 Privileges

(a) The following privileges shall apply:
1. A category A aircraft maintenance licence permits the holder to issue certificates of release to service following minor scheduled line maintenance and simple defect rectification within the limits of tasks specifically endorsed on the certification authorisation referred to in point 145.A.35 of Annex II (Part-145). The certification privileges shall be restricted to work that the licence holder has personally performed in the maintenance organisation that issued the certification authorisation.
2. A category B1 aircraft maintenance licence shall permit the holder to issue certificates of release to service and to act as B1 support staff following:
— maintenance performed on aircraft structure, powerplant and mechanical and electrical systems,
— work on avionic systems requiring only simple tests to prove their serviceability and not requiring troubleshooting.
Category B1 includes the corresponding A subcategory.
3. A category B2 aircraft maintenance licence shall permit the holder:
(i) to issue certificates of release to service and to act as B2 support staff for following:
— maintenance performed on avionic and electrical systems, and
— electrical and avionics tasks within powerplant and mechanical systems, requiring only simple tests to prove their serviceability; and
(ii) to issue certificates of release to service following minor scheduled line maintenance and simple defect rectification within the limits of tasks specifically endorsed on the certification authorisation referred to in point 145.A.35 of Annex II (Part-145). This certification privilege shall be restricted to work that the licence holder has personally performed in the maintenance organisation which issued the certification authorisation and limited to the ratings already endorsed in the B2 licence.
The category B2 licence does not include any A subcategory.
4. A category B2L aircraft maintenance licence shall permit the holder to issue certificates of release to service and to act as B2L support staff for the following:
— maintenance performed on electrical systems;
— maintenance performed on avionics systems within the limits of the system ratings specifically endorsed on the licence, and
— when holding the ‘airframe system’ rating, performance of electrical and avionics tasks within power plant and mechanical systems, requiring only simple tests to prove their serviceability.
5. A category B3 aircraft maintenance licence shall permit the holder to issue certificates of release to service and to act as B3 support staff for the following:
— maintenance performed on aeroplane structure, power plant and mechanical and electrical systems; and
— work on avionics systems requiring only simple tests to prove their serviceability and not requiring troubleshooting.
6. A category L aircraft maintenance licence shall permit the holder to issue certificates of release to service and to act as L support staff for the following:
— maintenance performed on aircraft structure, power plant and mechanical and electrical systems;
— work on radio, Emergency Locator Transmitters (ELT) and transponder systems; and
— work on other avionics systems requiring simple tests to prove their serviceability.
Subcategory L2 includes subcategory L1. Any limitation to subcategory L2 in accordance with point 66.A.45(h) becomes also applicable to subcategory L1.
Subcategory L2C includes subcategory L1C.
7. A category C aircraft maintenance licence shall permit the holder to issue certificates of release to service following base maintenance of the aircraft. The privileges apply to the aircraft in its entirety.

Last Edited by Ultranomad at 02 Jul 18:39
LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Sorry, still struggling to understand. If we are talking a CS-23/CS-VLA fixed-wing aircraft then:
Who can install new avionics?
Who can perform slide-in replacement of the avionics? Same model? New model, still slide-in?
Who can peform troubleshooting of the installed avionics and fix them?
What about the engine/prop? Who replace the engine (remove, put back in) for the MOH?
Who can perform 50hr/100hr checks? Annuals?
Who can replace a spar as required by an AD?
Who can perform all the necessary tasks to fix the a/c and bring it back to service after a double bird strike (one hits the prop, another hits the wing)?

Thank you!!!

EGTR

Thanks ultra. Yes they are some offers to just take the exams, but a distance course could be interesting.

I read some stuff, but I can’t answer arj’s questions. I guess for us, B3 is the way to go (except if you plan on becoming rich someday:)

And thanks Guillaume. I guess if you post it, you are reasonably happy with the course.

Last Edited by Jujupilote at 02 Jul 20:22
LFOU, France
23 Posts
Sign in to add your message