Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cost of a panel upgrade

Hi Jeff,

I bet with what you want you end up with 100k+.

Obviously it depends on what you want and how you have it done. As ARJ has pointed out, the hardware you name is already 50k. What about the other boxes in the panel? Engine Monitor? Audio Panel? DME? Transponder? How about a Traffic solution?
Really nicely done, an engine Monitor adds another 10-15k as it is another TXI screen (but then it’s really neat, see below). Audio Panel should not make a huge difference because the price of buying a new one should be directionally the same as the added complexity of connecting whatever old box you have with the new avionics.

In my experience, the 30% installation cost are in the more optimistic case that it is basically a replacement of the old boxes with a new one but no major changes in wiring. In such a major upgrade it would make sense to do an entirely new panel and wires. It gets more expensive with all the surprises they might discover when starting to pull your baby apart – add another 1k, e.g. if they discover that the antenna wires which were added at the last install never have been at the specs required for the old radios…

Last Edited by Malibuflyer at 07 Jul 06:33
Germany

Emir wrote:

Is this the one done by Matjaz from Aeroservice at LJBL?

Affirm. Besides the avionics, there are many other things very nicely done.

always learning
LO__, Austria

johnh wrote:

Garmin HSI/AI replacements, which would be another $15K or so installed

Two G5’s should be 6k€ and a few hours for install (not too much on top).

always learning
LO__, Austria

G5 price depends on if you just stick the unit onto the panel or mount it flush.

A_and_C wrote:

G5 price depends on if you just stick the unit onto the panel or mount it flush.

As the plan of the OP seems to be to create a completely new panel anyways, that should not make a huge difference.

Germany

I can share my Experimental RV7 experience for g3xTouch+gtn750+gnc255 (backup NavCom)+g5(w backupBattery)+gmc307(digital 2 axis autopilot with trim management)+gts800 (tcas)+gma245 (audiopanel)+ES transponder+EngineMonitor+Analog Backups+double magnetomers+double alternators+full wiring including power section, internal/external lighting, heated-pitot, NavCom antennas and breakers: 50k plus 10k design/installation, roughly 1/2 of same capability in Certified World (although my units are mostly certified).
If in each major European Country you can find about 2 or 3 experienced builders for the airframes (each with 10+ RVs under the belt), you will struggle to find any experienced Avionics Designer, like Steinair in the US. Even the most famous European avionics shops in UK, Germany, Italy, etcc, will not be able to design and install a complex IFR avionics system from scratch (power section, etc..). I started with a guy fully certified to repair avionics in Airliners (Airbus, Boeing, etc..): complete waste of 6 months time. I soon realized that MOST avionics gurus in Europe are like physicians: they can prescribe drugs but even the best one is unable to design and manifacture a NEW drug: for that you would need to access the chief scientist at Pfizer or Roche, which is practically impossible. In the Certified World, the main design is made by the manufacturer of the airplane and/or of the avionics (typically in the US), so the European shop is just there to implement their design. BUT even in the Certified World there is some space for some initiative by the local installer, hence it is worth sharing experiences here on Euroga on the various results.

Last Edited by mancival at 07 Jul 10:03
United Kingdom

You can put your EIS in your PFD TxI and use an iPad on the P2 side to cheapen things up compared to Malibuflyer’s panel (at the obvious cost of having less redundancy and screen space), you’ll still be above 100k with the units listed by the OP.

Last Edited by denopa at 07 Jul 11:07
EGTF, LFTF

Some food for thought if budget is a factor:

Using Aspen Evolutions -at very minor loss of functionality you can make a humungous cost saving and still get a safe and IFR glass machine, for example :

https://aspenavionics.com/products/general-aviation/evolution-2500/

That says $20k – even with tax + $10k for install (they are fairly self-contained) you are coming in around the €30-40k range I guess

We have a pair of the older Evolution 1000’s which interface seamlessly with a venerable Garmin GNS530W/430W pair and command the autopilot well. Having flown a couple of years behind G500 I don’t really see much difference – I prefer the Aspen interface and the savings on annual subscriptions.

TB20 IR(R) 600hrs
EGKA Shoreham, United Kingdom

It would be interesting to know what might the cost be of:

Removing a vacuum gyro system and old avionics

Keeping a turn coordinator and an emergency second COM

Fitting a GI275 plug in to replace the old AI and DG

Fitting a GNX375 to future proof ADSB and get IFR GPS

Fitting either a GNC 255 or KX165 to tick the S and Y elements of the flight plan

Either the GI275 provides ILS/CDI output or there is a switchable VOR/ILS head

Hopefully this provides modern avionics and also reduces the empty mass.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Is a single Nav radio sufficient?

What about the Dynon HDX. That seems to be significantly cheaper than Garmin/Aspen. Maybe its not available in Europe…I have a poor grasp of this stuff!

EIMH, Ireland
Sign in to add your message