Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Lycoming oil recommendations updated

For the first time in 25 years, Lycoming has just updated the oil recommendations: SI-1014N local copy

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Wow, thanks @Ultranomad

What has changed, of relevant to operation?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Additional types of multigrade oils are now recommended.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Amazing, given these were around for, I am sure, more than 15 years…

However, as we did e.g. here, 15W50 is not recommended unless going down to -18C, which affects very little GA in Europe.

I am moving to 100% W80 + Camguard now.

Administrator

Why? To me the artical very much seems to recommend a multigrade oil.

I wonder if continental’s recommendations would be any different?

Last Edited by Bathman at 02 Aug 07:41

Sae 40 is recommended for 0 Celsius to 32 Celsius however 15w50 or 20w50 works for -18 up to 32 which works fine for most of europe i’d say…

There are issues with multigrade and degraded oil seals – as well as a general increase in oil leaks all over the engine.

Administrator

Mmh… “fixing” an oil leak by simply using thicker oil is not really a fix, isn’t it ? :)

There’s always a religion about the oil people use.. in Florida or very warm places on the planet I agree for not using Multigrade oil however in Europe, where you really have like +35 one day and +10 the next day over -5 a week later IMHO Multigrade does make sense…

If you have a preheater and and outlet available however it’s a different story … ;)

OneEightyTwoTango wrote:

Sae 40 is recommended for 0 Celsius to 32 Celsius however 15w50 or 20w50 works for -18 up to 32 which works fine for most of europe i’d say…

SAE 40 single grade ashless dispersant oils are recommended from –18°C to +32°C (at least). My club (at 60°N) uses such oils – e.g. Aeroshell W80, Total AERO XPD 80 – exclusively. (Except during engine break-in of course.) Temperatures below –18°C are seen only once or twice a year and we are using engine preheat anyway whenever the average temperature is below +10°C. It works very well. We fly ≈1100 hrs/year with four aircraft and have not seen any oil-related problems.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message