Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

VHF transceiver for plane with loud cockpit

Hi all,
I would like to hear suggestions for a good radio transceiver for a loud, aerobatics plane. Preferably one that works with standard headsets, not just with Bose. Currently have an older Becker AR6201 VHF transceiver but volume, even at max setting, cannot compete with cockpit noise. I’m not going deaf:).
Thanks for the help!

Life is not a dress rehearsal, it is ...
EBGB KGAI, Belgium

ICOM has transceivers with an optional two-plug GA input cable.
That’s what I carry as VHF backup.

Abeam the Flying Dream
EBKT, western Belgium, Belgium

The AR6201, while panel mounted, is one of the “compact” range of radios

It is interesting whether its audio power should be lower than other radios. The AR6201 IM says this about audio output power

Comparing with say a KX165A where we have

which is pretty much the same (into 500/600 ohms).

IME, the audio output power one can get into a headset is high enough to blast one’s eardrums out and if one needs to use a passive headset in a very noisy cockpit, a common solution is to use earplugs to attenuate everything and then turn up the volume to compensate.

One could also build a little amplifier but I think there is something else going on here. Maybe a faulty radio? How does the same headset work with another radio?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Could it be that microphone gain is set too high and cockpit noise is picked up and drowns out the audio? This gain is adjustable from the settings menu.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Itsdescendnotgodown wrote:

I would like to hear suggestions for a good radio transceiver for a loud, aerobatics plane. Preferably one that works with standard headsets, not just with Bose.

It’s probably worth noting given the mention of Bose headsets that they were not designed for and are unsuitable for a loud environment, regardless of the radio. Raise the background noise above a certain level and you will hear nothing but distortion. Some other noise canceling headsets are better, and passive headsets don’t have the same issues.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 06 Aug 15:39

Both Bose and passive headsets work fine with other radios (Garmin, BK) in less loud planes (Cirrus, Piper). I’ve been going through the Becker manual and did everything that should lead to a very loud ‘sidetone’ but although everyone hears me fine, I barely hear incoming calls even at settings that should indeed blow my eardrums out. I haven’t looked at the mic gain yet but the threshold seems high since no cockpit noise is coming through. Squelch is pretty high to reduce noise.

EBGB KGAI, Belgium

I do hear a high tone when turning up the intercom volume above a certain (pretty high) level when using the Bose headset. This is not the case with passive headsets…

Last Edited by Itsdescendnotgodown at 06 Aug 17:47
EBGB KGAI, Belgium

https://www.oregonaero.com/micmuff-microphone-cover

These are brilliant for cutting out the noise on your transmissions. The standard intercom on that radio is piss poor, I have one. Fit a new stand alone intercom it would be a cheaper solution.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

Consider getting an in-ear type headset like the QT Halo or Clarity Aloft.

They provide excellent noise attenuation especially with the foam type ear buds. No batteries, light, comfortable and don’t come off while doing aerobatics.
They also seem to be louder at the same volume setting. I rarely have the headset volume adjuster more than about 1/3.

KHWD- Hayward California; EGTN Enstone Oxfordshire, United States

Yeah, I put in a PM1200 and stopped using the built-in Becker intercom almost immediately after hearing it. Those mic covers sound good (no pun intended). I do have a Clarity Aloft but there’s still quite a bit of noise getting through. But maybe I should give it another chance. Contacted Becker and with the settings I put in the radio, the volume should be loud enough. They suggest there’s something wrong with the connection to the PM1200…

Last Edited by Itsdescendnotgodown at 07 Aug 18:27
EBGB KGAI, Belgium
11 Posts
Sign in to add your message