Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

UK CAA £250 subsidy for ADS-B device - extended to Sep 2021, now until March 2024

An employee of Uavionix posted this on a UK site:

Some TAS systems in CAT/MIL airframes will reject ADS-B emissions with SIL/SDA = 0.

Is this correct? AIUI, all TAS systems (i.e. certified TAS) will reject SIL=0, and CAT aircraft don’t have any ADS-B IN anyway (TCAS is based on Mode C/S) MIL aircraft, who knows?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I believe ATSAW is part of CAT TCAS capability which is ADS-B In and is quite established with L3 and Honeywell type avionics kit

Posts are personal views only.
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom

AIUI, the RA (TCAS 2 resolution advisory) functionality is implemented using 1090ES messages i.e. “ADS-B” between two Mode S transponders, on the two airliners in question.

However, does this display 1090ES ADS-B OUT emitting GA traffic? I have been told by airline pilots that it does not.

Administrator

TAS systems in CAT/MIL airframes work with your ordinary transponder. Also those are flying in controlled airspace where ATC makes sure you don’t crash into them

ADS-B out is for the other small aircraft to see you on the iPad, which is an amazing solution that works great and make a lot of sense.

ESME, ESMS

This is not about protecting aircraft from aircraft it is all about protecting the CAA from legal action if an aircraft hits a drone.

The CAA can blame the pilots in an aircraft to aircraft collision but it is much harder to justify why they had let a drone loose that can’t see and avoid in class G airspace that requires the pilot to see and avoid other traffic.

Encouraging ADS-B use by subsidies would show they took mitigating action if court action did follow an aircraft/drone collision.

Last Edited by A_and_C at 12 Oct 06:49

TAS systems in CAT/MIL airframes work with your ordinary transponder.

Of course, for basic TCAS traffic warning the GA target needs to be just Mode C. That bit appears to be well known. Also apparently undisputed is that having Mode S is no additional help versus airliner TCAS.

The Q is whether the statement I posted above correct? Can any airliner or military jet see an aircraft emitting ADS-B? I know the RAF Grobs did install some stuff, after the fleet was upgraded to a TAS605+SN3500 after the famous mid-air.

This is not about protecting aircraft from aircraft it is all about protecting the CAA from legal action if an aircraft hits a drone.

Yes I think this must be the explanation for this subsidy. It is totally out of character for the CAA to do this otherwise. Promoting the “installation” of uncertified gadgets?? Hardly… notwithstanding a number of ex CAA/NATS people being employed by the manufacturers

Administrator

It must be linked to this :

LFOU, France

Well found… I can now see that press release on four sites, all the way to Linkedin

That explains why the CAA is offering the £250 subsidy for such a wide range of gadgets: a drone can be easily equipped to receive the whole lot.

One has to laugh however at this:

in which all airspace users are detected and presented to the UAS operator in order to demonstrate DAA capability equivalent to ‘See and Avoid’ capability of manned aircraft under VFR. [my bold]

The benefit is solely intended to be to the UAS operator.
“equivalent to ‘See and Avoid’ capability” is a joke, as most pilots are well aware…

Administrator

This demonstration is just for formal purposes.

• Either all GA receive ADS-B to see drones, and they avoid drones
  • Either drones are responsible for avoiding planes, but GA must emit ADS-B

All this leads to … mandate !!

LFOU, France

Peter wrote:

CAT aircraft don’t have any ADS-B IN anyway

Some do. You need a modern enough a/c or a popular enough a/c so that the avionics supplier have developed a mod. And you need a company where the final word is not with the accountants.

Nympsfield, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message