Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

UK CAA £250 subsidy for ADS-B device - extended to Sep 2021, now until March 2024

This came in an IAOPA newsletter and is the likely background to this CAA initiative:

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Goodwood is an AFIS airfield, near the coast, where a lot of traffic transits.

CAA will problably issue an AIC/SUP AIP but introducing long range drones in uncontrolled airspace needs a LOT of information towards the whole aviation community. Reaching every pilot out there from paramotor to helicopters takes months.

It is incredible to me to learn this live trial in a LinkedIn post.

LFOU, France

It feels as if UK CAA does not care much about GA, I mean genuine General Aviation, excluding Business Aviation.
Farnborough: can we have our own fiefdom? CAA: done!
UAV manufacturers: can we fly where we want? CAA: done!
GA: can we … CAA: NO!!!

On the other hand why should they? We are not creating that much in terms of GDP anyway…
This decision does not appear to be thought through, to put it politely.

EGTR

This is probably quite relevant for portable devices and avoiding traffic.

I definitely think this initiative is being done purely as a CYA job to enable drones to fly without DA/RA areas. Drones can have proper pressure altitude generated locally, as well as GPS altitude.

Administrator

Where on the CAA website does one find the application form please?

UK, United Kingdom

https://portal.caa.co.uk/
You need to create an account, get it validated and then you can start the rebate processs

Nympsfield, United Kingdom

https://www.caa.co.uk/General-aviation/Aircraft-ownership-and-maintenance/Electronic-Conspicuity-devices/

The scheme will remain open to applications until 30 September 2021 (or until the funding is used). Those meeting the requirements can claim a 50% rebate of the purchase cost of an EC device to a maximum of £250.00 (including VAT), per applicant. We anticipate up to 4,000 rebates will be available from the 01 April 2021. The previously advertised The need to purchase equipment by 28 February no longer applies.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Just read this in my local airport newsletter

Electronic Conspicuity (EC) in Local Airspace
The CAA had extended the rebate scheme for the fitting of EC devices until 31 Mar 2024 (or until the funding is used). Those meeting the requirements were able to claim a 50% rebate of the purchase cost of an EC device to a maximum of £250 (inc VAT).

Anecdotally I hear that the take-up is near zero now.

Administrator

Would be great if everyone had ADS-B out. I’ve heard that transponders get very flakey when flying north west of Calais – I guess it’s something about the planet’s magnetic flux interfering with with transponder’s retro encabulator or something.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

I still have an issue in that none of these boxes – the ones the CAA is partly paying for – show up on a certified TCAS1 system, like I will have when my TAS605 is upgraded to TAS605A (ADS-B IN).

If somebody has a data point to the contrary (the SkyEcho would be a candidate) I’d like to hear it.

But otherwise the lack of interest could be because people are realising the CAA could easily monitor ADS-B signals and b reference to a CAS shapes database use that as a trigger for radar data investigation and then much more easily busting people.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message