Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Can a Rotax go beyond TBO?

Yes. According https://www.easa.europa.eu/sites/default/files/dfu/TCDS_E%20122_Issue06_20160509_1.0.pdf TBO is recommended and no Operating Limitation.

Last Edited by europaxs at 07 Oct 13:52
EDLE

europaxs wrote:

Yes. According https://www.easa.europa.eu/sites/default/files/dfu/TCDS_E%20122_Issue06_20160509_1.0.pdf TBO is recommended and no Operating Limitation.

The only mention of TBO in that TCDS is a reference to a Rotax SB about TBO extension. What matters is if the MM states that the TBO is an airworthiness limit.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

“What matters is if the MM states that the TBO is an airworthiness limit.”

And it actually states it.
Chapter 4 – “Airworthiness Limitations” states clearly that chapter 5 – “Maintenance” must be applied to maintain airworthiness. There is also TBO stated.

Poland

Raven wrote:

And it actually states it.
Chapter 4 – “Airworthiness Limitations” states clearly that chapter 5 – “Maintenance” must be applied to maintain airworthiness. There is also TBO stated.

So ROTAX can’t go beyond TBO or CALENDAR under EASA? Wow!

always learning
LO__, Austria

Checked the Rotax MM and it is indeed a bit confusing. This is for the most common 912 series:

What I find weird is that Chapter 4 mentions Chapter 5 which by definition is not under Airworthiness Limitations since it is another chapter.
They state pretty clearly that all time limits must be followed but they also state(see red line) that the Airworthiness Limitations are not applicable(?).

Based on this I would say that the Rotax is the same as any Lycoming with regards to TBO extension possibilities.

(EDIT: I checked for the 914 series and it had the same statement in the MM.)

Last Edited by Fly310 at 08 Oct 05:30
ESSZ, Sweden

@Raven – I stand corrected concerning the Rotax TBO. Although it’s printed in bold letters “Airworthiness Limitations NONE” the Notes below it

“Maintenance checks and replacement of defined components are required on this engine! These procedures are described in chapter 05 and are a required by the authority in order to ensure the Contnued Airworthiness!”

apperently lead to your conclusion. However – is the whole engine a component on the engine?
EDLE

To be honest – I have no idea.
I think it’s a case for a good lawyer ;)

Poland

And the rest. They’ll go well beyound TBO.

I know of Rotax engines in uncertified aircraft with over 6000 hours on them. Then engine runs for ever. The weak spot is the ancillaries particularly the carb rubbers.

Yes. Those rubbers. Be careful about them.
I had an engine fire luckily on ground due to one of the rubber being broken. Below the carb there is nice red hot exhaust stack. Nonsense design to me.
I know. There is now some kind of plate designed to catch overflowing fuel, but…

Poland

I have heard of several having trouble with “synchronization” of carbs. Running uneven at low RPM etc. The fault was eventually found to be (after lots of “syncing” ) the rubbers.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
Sign in to add your message