Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Stec 55x and Altitude Preselector ST-360, and periodic altitude fluctuations

Oh and I just recalled:

Plane on the ground – engines stopped, when playing with autopilot – changing modes from ALT to VS – I have seen plus or minus 100 ft/min appearing on the display (but usually it is zero) – as if the AP would think we are climbing or descending, but plane was stationary so any static leaks should be irrelevant.
Maybe faulty transducer?

Last Edited by Raven at 27 Oct 13:23
Poland

I don’t know the STEC architecture but if this was the KFC225 then yes there is an internal barometer which is used as the primary altitude feedback for the ALT mode, with the encoding altimeter value as a slow background correction value.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Stec uses its own absolute press transducer but installed separately to static line (for longterm data) and internal accelerometer (short term data).

Poland

Analog or digital output?

If analog, you could put a meter on it and see if it is clean.

Administrator

If I may put a link where I found it:

http://aea.net/AvionicsNews/ANArchives/TTOct04.pdf local copy

Seems old style analog.

Poland

OK; you could put a meter on the supply pin and the output pin and check that it is stable.

Also put a scope on it (via say a 1uF non-electrolytic capacitor) to check for noise. It could be that the supply to the transducer is duff.

Administrator

Thanks Peter.
I will try to play with it next week.

Poland

For future reference – I was missing a jumper between pin 42 and 23 of P2 connector.
That jumper enables stec to communicate with preselector.

Poland

Thanks for the follow-up – instantly triples the value of the thread if there is a confirmed solution.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

tmo wrote:

Thanks for the follow-up – instantly triples the value of the thread if there is a confirmed solution.

Thanks.

Still working on my altitude fluctuations. No solution yet.
I am planning to swap the Absolute Pressure Transducer to check if the problem remains.

Poland
Sign in to add your message