Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Importing an airplane from N-reg/C-reg to EASA

Supersonic wrote:

My understanding is, as Annex I aircraft are under national legislation, that might differ between countries. For Germany at least, I know that importing N-reg experimentals and registering them as “D-E…” is not possible.

Yes, but my point is that you can’t make a blanket statement that the only aircraft types you can import to EASA-land are those with EASA TC’s or grandfathered national acceptance.

E.g. I can’t see why Germany would have an issue with importing a normal category Annex I aircraft such as a Piper Cub.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Peter wrote:

They can, of course, but the accepting inspection regime differs from that applied to ICAO CofA types. For example, importing into the UK, it is checked by an LAA inspector.

Lots of Annex I aircraft types have ICAO CofA! Would the LAA check a Piper Cub that was imported to the UK?

What happens if you import an aircraft that never had an EASA TC, but has got some other TC?

EGTR

Airborne_Again wrote:

Would the LAA check a Piper Cub that was imported to the UK?

I understand NO, while it’s non-EASA (Annex1/2 or whatever), it’s still UKCAA CoFA not LAA PtF so fall outside UK LAA inspectors hands

Edit: PA18 not J3C, the latter is permit

Last Edited by Ibra at 17 Nov 13:44
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Airborne_Again wrote:

E.g. I can’t see why Germany would have an issue with importing a normal category Annex I aircraft such as a Piper Cub.

Interesting question, indeed. I should have expressed myself more clearly: I was only speaking of “homebuilts”.

EDNG, EDST, EDMT, Germany

Supersonic wrote:

I was only speaking of “homebuilts”.

That makes sense, but there are nine categories of Annex I aircraft of which homebuilts are one…

arj1 wrote:

What happens if you import an aircraft that never had an EASA TC, but has got some other TC?

Anyone? I’m just curious if the a/c was produced and certified in the US, can it be imported and put on the EASA registry?
Assuming the TC holder (design organisation) still exists and OK.

EGTR

@antonio
Are you sure about this? The BASA US EU treaty should make grandfathering irrelevant.

EU and US accept TC vice versa.

always learning
LO__, Austria

@peter
Can you kindly moderate the thread so as to keep it about
ICAO C of A / FAA TC aircraft respectively
and how to import them from US/CA to EU using BASA treaty only? Thanks

Last Edited by Snoopy at 17 Nov 16:39
always learning
LO__, Austria

I have moved some brexit related posts to the specific thread, but otherwise this is quite a narrow topic, and apart from Antonio’s great post none of the others who I know have direct experience of this process have contributed – presumably because of “industry boycott” reasons (EuroGA is occassionally critical of industry practices, and practically all people who actually do this are Part M companies, who generally don’t seem to “get” that contributing usefully on a forum generates goodwill and business…)

If we get some good input on Annex 1 import then I will move it to a thread in the Non Certified section. However the existing title does not exclude Non Certified…

I have spoken to some LAA people about importing a “homebuilt” N-reg and while it is obviously possible, they regard it with maximum suspicion because they see everybody in America as a cowboy

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message