Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

High CHTs after TB21 turbo engine overhaul

placido wrote:

So I guess that nobody really touched the magneto but nevertheless I will ask the mechanic to also look at this.

THen magneto internal timing would not have changed, but magneto-to-engine timing was adjusted again when it was reinstalled on your engine. Perhaps it was checked subsequently at your annual or 100hrs inspection, but checking again is a small job and cheap insurance.

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Hi @Placido,

Not sure if you still have this issue, but I can send you readings from my TB21 if you want from the engine analyser ?

thanks, Keith

Fairoaks

Peter wrote:

A lot of TB21 owners had lots of downtime due to turbo issues and a lack of expertise among European dealers.

However, others say the turbo installation is straightforward…

It’s an older thread now, but I will answer anyway for the record.

First, I would say the turbo installation on TB21 is straight forward.

Second, on to the original subject here: I have a few pictures and Measurements from a full power climb the other day, even though I usually use a more gentle cruise climb.

So at full power and full mixture my FF was 102 Liters/hour and MP 33,5. Passing 2000 feet the highest CHT was 186 C (367 F), OAT 5 C. Close to 10000 ft highest CHT had risen to 210 C (410 F), OAT -3. The plane was lightly loaded and climbed with about 1500 ft/min all the way up with speed around 90 KIAS. (disregard the CHT 6 reading from the engine monitor – its not reading correct due to the factory installed probe).

I have found that CHT correlate to OAT quite a bit so naturally these temps would be higher had I done the same thing during summer.
So assuming the engine has been broken in I would consider the CHTs reported from placido on the high side too. To maximize engine life it makes sense to troubleshoot to get the temperature down. A nice seal of the baffles helps and easy to fix. I would get the MP adjusted as both FF and MP look too high. And verify the timing of magnetos is correct, even a few degrees early can cause high CHT.

Out of curiosity @placido since this an old thread, have the problem been solved?

Last Edited by THY at 25 Apr 22:42
THY
EKRK, Denmark
33 Posts
Sign in to add your message