Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Do we need an IFR certified aircraft to fly IFR en EASA land?

At the end it’s CAMO or AI&P who decides

AIUI, the operator is responsible, not the pilot.

That would mean I as a renter have to ask the owner if I may use the plane for IFR and take their word for it. In the context of a French aero club, there are some which are of the opinion that any and all IFR is principally dangerous and to be avoided. Even if all of the boxes mentioned by @Snoopy are ticked, the club could thus prevent me from using a plane under instrument flight rules.

Rwy20 wrote:

Do I as a pilot have to verify if an installed GTN650 was sold as a « VFR version »?

What does that mean? AFAIK the GTN650 is not sold in different certified and noncertified versions like e.g. the G5.

If you’re referring to the installation itself, the AFMS should tell you. If there is no AFMS, then you can’t legally use the GTN650 for IFR.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 01 Jan 09:13
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

@Rwy20 if your French Aero club or the members in general are acting in the way you suggest, I would change club.

France

, the club could thus prevent me from using a plane under instrument flight rules.

Well, yes, that is “club/airfield politics” If the club President says you must wear yellow underpants then you have to do that. Lots of people I have known spent a lot of their time and money escaping whatever political situation they found themselves in. Here, it usually involves moving out to a farm strip, which tends to last a couple of years and they either drift back or give up flying.

If there is no AFMS, then you can’t legally use the GTN650 for IFR.

Indeed, but almost nobody knows that. For example I know a guy who installed hundreds of GNS boxes, with no AFMS. Like most freelance avionics guys in the UK, he worked “under the roof” of some maintenance company (which did the logbook entry etc) and that’s how it was…

The KLN94 has a “VFR” config option which blocks the display of IAPs. When my plane arrived in 2002, the UK CAA inspector said the KLN94 is not certified for IFR (!!) and he demanded this to be thus configured. It soon got changed back But I didn’t get the AFMS allowing GPS IAPs until later.

the GTN650 is not sold in different certified and noncertified versions

That’s true but there has been disinformation going around that a non authorised dealer installation makes the STC invalid – example.

GA is full of this kind of stuff. One has to position oneself so that pragmatism rules Change the club, etc.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

What does that mean? AFAIK the GTN650 is not sold in different certified and noncertified versions like e.g. the G5.

I am still referring to this issue from a few years back. I definitely remember the mechanic showing me on some website the GTN versions, with a “VFR” version about 1000 € or so cheaper. But let’s assume that was somehow about the installation kit only, and that that is how they did the installation. Then the limitation should be obvious from the AFM supplement, and if it’s not in there I as a stupid renter am safe to assume that at least the navigator could be used as a primary source of navigation for IFR flight?

The points are less relevant now because I have my own IFR capable plane now. But I still found them intriguing from the time I dug into the question if I could use the club planes for IFR or not.

I don’t remember Garmin selling a “VFR” GTN but that doesn’t mean they weren’t in 2014. A lot of avionics have been for sale as “VFR” or “for Experimentals”, at a discount, so you can offer a lower priced option. I bought a SN3500 with an “Experimental harness” which avoided having to buy from an authorised installer; it was the same item, with the same documents.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I don’t remember Garmin selling a “VFR” GTN but that doesn’t mean they weren’t in 2014

All GTNs were/are capable of being installed and certified for IFR. It’s part of the installer’s job to ensure the requirements of the STC are met and the AFMS/POHS is correctly marked-up to show the final approved capability.

Last Edited by wigglyamp at 01 Jan 16:08
Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.
27 Posts
Sign in to add your message