Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Ancient avionics

Somebody else will have more experience than me with autopilots, but early to mid 1970s, to match the avocado colored panel overlay? Link

Altimatic IIIB-1: Piper introduced the IIIB around 1971 and the IIIB-1 a few years later, and each offered some improvements. The IIIB-1 added a better altitude control sensor and pitch wheel operation.

(Oddly enough I came across this webpage a few days a go when interested in an older autopilot equipped plane for sale)

Last Edited by Silvaire at 09 Mar 19:46

Early Twin Comanche.

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

Looks a bit like the Century III that was in m plane when I bought it. In theory a full function 3-axis AP including coupled approaches. In pracyice a discrete-transistor era maintenance nightmare. I spent thousands trying to coax it back into life. I finally gave up when at 400’ on a coupled approach it suddenly pitched down into a 1000+ fpm dive. I replaced it with an Stec-30 which is seriously short on bells and whistles but just fine for cross country flights. I’ve since got some time behind a GFC700/G1000 and while it’s certainly impressive, it doesn’t really change the flying experience, except you spend a lot more time saying “now which button do I press for THAT?” and “what’s it doing now?”.

LFMD, France

It was actually in a 1972 Aztec.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I have quite a few hours on an Aztec that boasted an Altimatic Vd, which included a Flight Director – it deserved a Heath Robinson award. Under certain circumstances, and if it was in the mood it would fly a reasonable coupled ILS. It was certified to Cat 1.

On this subject there seems to have been a fashion in the mid 1970’s to fit radar altimeters to high performance SEPs, usually with the display outside the scan. They seem to be quite reliable, but not sure what help it gave a single pilot.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

RobertL18C wrote:

On this subject there seems to have been a fashion in the mid 1970’s to fit radar altimeters to high performance SEPs, usually with the display outside the scan. They seem to be quite reliable, but not sure what help it gave a single pilot.

I guess, in the 70’ that was pre-GPS and CFIT during an NPA to NDB/VOR was the big elephant in the room?
Things have shifted latter in 80’ as more ILS/DME were introduced and later on with GPS

Last Edited by Ibra at 10 Mar 09:29
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Silvaire wrote:

but those of us with more practical needs know the ‘80s are coming back someday

About 60 years time

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

This Altimatic 3C came up on the “used junk” US FB site – $1000 the lot.

I can’t tell whether it is older than the fridge it is sitting on but probably yes

Apparently it was OEM installed so it can go in as a Minor Alteration into those airframes

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

johnh wrote:

Looks a bit like the Century III that was in m plane when I bought it

I still have the original Century III on board, it had been overhauled some 10 years ago. It works astonishingly fine, even doing GPSS being fed from my Aspen PFD. It’s OK for any flight where cruise time is as long as climb time :-)

However, quite limited in its capabilities. Would love to have any approach or altitude capability. And this is how yet another Century III in pristine condition, as good as new, only installed once! lol will be available any time soon on the market.

Germany

control panel of LS-4 radio. Back in that times you did know that given airfield is on channel 4, the other one on 3. I assume exact frequency was a military secret.

LKKU, LKTB
Sign in to add your message