Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

WX1000+ installation manual, and heading over RS232, or ARINC429?

I connected a GAD43/G500 to a WX1000+ years ago in a PA23 and it worked fine. We just used this drawing from the GAD install manual:

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

This is very interesting.

Tha ARINC arduino project uses the same ARINC429 chip as I have on my board – the HI-3593.

You “can” fly with a stormscope whose display does not rotate with the heading. It’s a bit useless but that’s how Socata were delivering TB20s with the WX500. The DGAC had apparently objected to a rotating display, saying that pilots could use it to avoid thunderstorms (!) so Socata put a connector in the wiring which their dealers could very conveniently plug in

However I am not sure how exactly that is implemented. I think the rotation is actually done in the KMD550 MFD. The WX500 just sends out the map (probably, radial + bearing) of the strikes, and the KMD550 rotates it according to the heading which it already receives for other purposes. This is the WX500 drawing

The WX1000 drawings show only XYZ (what I call X Y 400Hz because the Z comes straight from the 400Hz inverter) for the heading.

That link shown in yellow is what the dealer would reconnect.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Hm, we have a WX1000 in the panel which is driven by a G500/GAD43e and it works without problems. When we had the panel done a couple of years ago, the shop did not report any issues, so I guess they connected it and it just worked.

EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

wigglyamp wrote:

I connected a GAD43/G500 to a WX1000+ years ago in a PA23 and it worked fine. We just used this drawing from the GAD install manual:

We used the same drawing. Used a peanut AC reference. Had the 1000+ system checked on the bench by a super competent instrument shop. That left the wiring and the GAD43E as possible. Multiple checks of wiring. Garmin refused to supply a replacement GAD43E for testing.

Edit: My system is still wired and installed. I will see if the shop has a new installation with a different GAD43E and swap it out for a test. It is the only component we have not eliminated.

Last Edited by NCYankee at 23 Jan 14:21
KUZA, United States

One issue could be the 400Hz source. The MD26-14 or MD26-28 peanut inverters don’t provide a clean sine wave. You could use the GAD43e internal source:

The other potential issue is configuration.

This is from the G500 STC Install manual:

This is on the next page:

I can’t see an equivalent set-up page in the G500Txi so maybe that’s where the issue lies.

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

This is the inverter I am using: T110 Inverter

@Wigglyamp, can you comment.

KUZA, United States

I am told there is a version of the WX1000, WX1000E P/N 78-8060-6086-5 which has a ARINC429 heading input.

One on US Ebay for $1k

Administrator

Better then wx500. No neeed additional display, just work with GTN/GNS

http://www.Bornholm.Aero
EKRN, Denmark

Old thread, in summer going to install a GI275 AHRS magnetic heading will come from GI275 in ARINC429 to the SN3500. The SN3500 has a bootstrap output which will hopefully continue to drive the WX1000E for heading. The sandel is maybe outdated but has amazing interface options….GI275s configured as HSI don’t show DME distance.

EBST

Yes the Sandel stuff was designed by a real expert – electronics hardware, software, and avionics connectivity knowledge. When I did my original installation in 2011 I was just amazed at how clever the product was.

The DME interface is not complicated – synchronous data+clock – but someone like Garmin isn’t going to bother with that because they don’t even make a DME.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message