Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Height annunciator for GA / Mooney LHS - Landing Height System

Looks pretty cool. Would come in handy during nighttime landings, especially in a Mooney. Is this product already spotted in Europe ?
Click

EBST, Belgium

Saw it, looks nice but would require a dry run for night landing with Synt-Vision

Does EASA have something similar to NORSEE? the closest I can think of is CS-STAN list and few portable devices installs…

https://www.easa.europa.eu/sites/default/files/dfu/EASA_Proposed_CM-AS-007_Issue_01_CRD_PUBL.pdf

Last Edited by Ibra at 21 Jan 18:18
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

For an Experimental, a vehicle reversing warner, which increases bleeping as an obstacle gets nearer, might work.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

With a maximum height range of 100’, it’s only a substitute for the visual assessment of small heights – one of the most essential skills for every pilot. I think it’s a bit like outrigger wheels on a motorcycle that extend automatically as the speed drops to zero: may save your bacon when you are old and frail, but of dubious usefulness otherwise. Also, for just a little more money, one can get a full-fledged radar altimeter with a 1600’ range and altitude reporting via RS-232 and ARINC 429.

Last Edited by Ultranomad at 21 Jan 21:58
LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Ultranomad wrote:

Also, for just a little more money, one can get a full-fledged radar altimeter with (…) altitude reporting via RS-232 and ARINC 429.

Interesting in principle, but the webpage is quite low on details. No price, no STCs, no ETSO? No claim of install on any common light GA plane? Does the RS-232 and ARINC429 capability meant it can display on e.g. Garmin glass?

ELLX

The only connection I know about is to the audio panel to allow the height call-outs. It is not an alternative to a radio altimeter, which is a different tool at a higher price.

EBST, Belgium

Is this optical or radio?

A KRA10 radio altimeter costs ~10k to install.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

In the latest software version of the G500txi you get a GPS height indication with quite astonishing accuracy

EGTF, LFTF

How does that work?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It displays a GPS altitude above ground level when lower than 2500 feet. The indication is to the left of the altitude strip. See the picture of my G500TXi PFD, I was on the ground at the time. The values are in increments of 20 feet. It is in the same position on the PFD that a radar altimeter would display if I had one.

KUZA, United States
32 Posts
Sign in to add your message