Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Fraudulent avionics sales

We had someone here a few days ago chucking a load of avionics ads all over the forum. These were deleted, firstly because the Marketplace is for that, and anyway after some reported he was doing the same elsewhere, and reportedly taking the money and not shipping.

One advert was for a 430W for €3500, a 530W for €3500, and a GTN750 for €5500. The first one is not entirely implausible, despite people “trying” to get ~8k for a 430W and prob99 having to settle for much less.

But this guy pretends to be an avionics shop in The Netherlands so would be selling stuff on with a mark-up, which makes it even less plausible.

Normally, spammers can’t join up easily, due to the new checks which are done before a new signup is approved, but some get through.

So, be careful out there…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I suspect that an advertisement on Facebook a few weeks back for a Bose headset was a fraud.

Peter wrote:

The first one is not entirely implausible, despite people “trying” to get ~8k for a 430W and prob99 having to settle for much less.

You might be surprised. The going rate for a 430W is around USD 6-7000, up from about 4500 a few years back.

A smart fraudster will not try selling a Bose A20 for €300, or a GNS430W for €2k

Fortunately most of them are not too smart.

And headsets can be stolen in an instant. In one case at my base, some were stolen from a pilot bag by someone just walking past.

I don’t get why a 430W sells for so much but that’s a topic for a different thread.

Buyer beware

If you bought a stolen box, don’t Garmin/etc check the S/N? If I got something like that nicked, I would at least tell Garmin.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
always learning
LO__, Austria
5 Posts
Sign in to add your message