Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Piper flap brackets - what are they coated with?

Thanks all. The flaps came off for the bare metal respray but I think I’ll have a look with the borescope now. You have made me stop and think

United Kingdom

Thanks all. The flaps came off for the bare metal respray but I think I’ll have a look with the borescope now. You have made me stop and think .

My guess you won’t like what you find, also take a hard look at the steel to aluminium fittings, that’s front & rear spar fittings in the fuselage fittings at rear of baggage bay. Footstep internal fittings. Fittings at top & bottom of windshield and finally the fittings that hold the stabiliser bearing blocks just fwd of the rearmost frame.

Don’t worry A_and_C – I already know that all these areas are 100% perfect. For example, the rear spar attachment fittings were removed, light surface corrosion polished out and new Piper parts fitted. See below before the new bracket was fitted………. Ditto all the other areas you mention were checked when new perspex windows were fitted, also the tail was removed as part of the respray. I know exactly what you mean and I see this corrosion (rear wing spar attachment) on virtually all old Pipers.

However, on the flap brackets can anybody see why not to zinc plate them prior to painting?

United Kingdom
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message